Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: The .LRN UI is ready for translation

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Thanks for the great feedback and all the translations guys! We currently have over 20 translators on the server.

Jarkko: you should all be able to access the dotlrn admin pages now. Your points about prepositions and problems with pretty names that will have different translations depending on the context are good. We are going to have to deal with those cases. Keep me posted on exactly which keys cause problems and we'll find ways to change the key structure if you can't find workarounds. I'll take the time to answer emails you've sent me now that I'm back from a conference.

Aldert: For context information I added a listing on the edit page that lists the lines of the files where the message key is used for lookups. Let me know what you think!

Here is what we have translated so far:

select locale, count(*) from lang_messages group by locale;

LOCALE                          COUNT(*)
------------------------------ ----------
da_DK                                492
de_DE                                286
en_US                                1502
es_ES                                170
fi_FI                                994
fr_FR                                  4
nl_NL                                115
sv_SE                                  5

8 rows selected.

Oh my god Jarkko - are you translating around the clock? 994 messages is amazing!

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Peter,

Every message key consisting just of one preposition (at, in, etc.) is problematic, as there is no such thing in Finnish.

I'll return to pretty plurals problem more precisely when I've shuffled a bit around the pages and found problematic messages.

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Oh yes, and a solution which would tackle the both problems, would be just to glue the preposition and the noun together, i.e. making an expression. I think that would help also to the thing Malte mentioned (which is, to be honest, about the same problem we're having).

E.g. "Join Class" = "Ilmoittaudu kurssille", when
"Class" alone would be just "Kurssi". Now these messages with just one word like "Class" are used in many totally different meanings.

My proposal:

Let's use one word messages just when the words are truly alone on the page, and in other cases, put the whole expression in the message. And at least let's not use same messages like class_pretty_plural (just invented the name) in different contexts:
Classes in "Total 15 classes" != Classes in "Join classes"