Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Response to A proposal: CSS Styles and module hooks in OpenACS 4

Reviving this idea would be great, though I also don't see anything to be gained by tying the CSS to parameters. Jerry Asher's "semantic tags" is the way to go, plus the <BODY> tag should be given a class named after the package in case you need package specific formatting (e.g. body.bboard p {} looking different from body.news p {}).

It would be best, it think, to separate out CSS for different packages into different files which were then imported into a main stylesheet or through links added in the template. On the site I manage I add an "extra_css" property to the package's master template, so that a list of stylesheets is passed up to default-master where they are all output as links in the header. I've been putting all CSS files in /web/[server]/www/css, but I wonder if package specific CSS, in a scheme like this, shouldn't go in /web/[server]/[package]/www/css to keep everything belonging to the package together (otherwise you'd have to have a mechanism to move te package css to the site-wide css directory during installation of the package).