Forum OpenACS Development: posting patches in the sdm

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
Hi all,

I have fixed so many bugs over the years and never posted the patches, I figured it was time I started!

So, I opened a bug in the sdm (bug 1968 : http://sdm.openacs.org/sdm/one-baf.tcl?baf_id=1968), posted a patch (well 3, since first I chose the wrong release, then I realised i didnt apply the -u flag to cvs diff).

Now, should I close the bug? How do i make sure it gets into the cvs repository? And who knows why when I upload the patch file, it gets some garbage characters at the start and end of the file? I piped out ofcvs diff, so it shouldn't be terminal control chars...

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Mark, first of all thanks for this and all the fixes to come.

Please use the bugtracker on the new site instead of the old sdm instance: https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/. The sdm is only still online so that the old bugs can be moved over or fixed eventually.

The normal way how a patch finds its way into the cvs repository is when someone with cvs commit rights reviews and applies it (thanks to Jeff Davis for doing this regularly). This person would then set the bug to 'resolved', which you will be notified of automatically if you subscribe to the bugtracker. You can then check if that was done correctly and close the bug.

For this patch I would suggest to not define the " : " default another time (it is already defined in ad_context_bar_html), but rather declare -separator without a default value and do the call for ad_context_bar_html depending on [info exists separator] either with or without the option.

No idea where those weird characters come from - I would suppose that the patch command doesn't work with them so you'd rather try to get rid of that (maybe it doesn't happen when uploading to the new bugtracker).

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I think we still have some links to the SDM lying around, which should now get pointed to the bug-tracker. Also, we may want to put up a notice on all pages in the SDM saying "Don't post new bugs here, go to bug-tracker."

I've fixed the links on the index.adp "Congratulations" screen in the OpenACS software itself.

Perhaps it's also time that we change the openacs.org/sdm link to point to the bugtracker instead of the old SDM?

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
I followed a neural link from my memory to /sdm

You could always just set the permissions to disallow non-admins write access, and put some sort of message at the top of the page as per Tillman's suggestion.

Thanks for the info, I will head to bugtracker shortly. I will re-post this patch after implementing Tillman's suggestion.