Forum OpenACS Development: Re: AOL 3.5 and APM

Collapse
18: Re: AOL 3.5 and APM (response to 1)
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Well I hate to sound like the greasy wheel, but the tone of the chat reminds me of the AOL of old. Do what we say and no, you don't get cvs access.

They are making a huge mistake as the 3.5.x patches are basically done. I just put them on some production boxes and have only one minor acs-lang problem and I am sure that is my fault.

I won't trust my important sites to a .0 release and the attitude of "we want the community to focus on 4.x" is ridiculous. There isn't even any clear instructions on the crappy sourceforge site on how to focus on it.

Collapse
20: Re: AOL 3.5 and APM (response to 18)
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
There's nothing stopping us from releasing another version of AOLserver that has been customized for OpenACS and dotLRN; as Jon said, the work is basically done.  The hardest part would probably be naming the thing - AOLserver_3.5.2ish+kindofAD13+OACS2?  I've also been using 4b1 for over a year and have been nagging other people to try it out for almost as long.

That said, I don't really buy the ACT's argument.  If we *did* decide another OpenACS AOLserver distribution was needed in the time between now and 4.0 final, wouldn't that cause as much or more developer distraction?  As Andrew's last message makes clear - it would probably be the same people doing the work either way.  Personally, I predict that the amount of time we have and will spend debating this issue will be greater than the time it would have taken to just produce a 3.6 release. 😊

Jon - if you discover the source of the acs-lang problem is in my patches, I'll try to fix them.  While I'm thinking of it - When I was testing acs-lang I ran into the problem that it depends on ref-timezones...