Forum OpenACS Q&A: postgres 7.1.3 dying on RH 8.0

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
I just had to recover from a disk crash and decided to upgrade rh from 6.2 to 8.0...

Aolserver ad13 installed just fine, while postgres 7.1.3 chocked with the following error:

---------------

checking for string... no
checking for class string in <string.h>... no
configure: error: neither <string> nor <string.h> seem to define the C++ class `string\'

---------------

anyone familiar with this error?

I heard that PG 7.3.0 won't work with oacs 3.2.5 or was it 4.6?! What about 7.3.1? Does 7.2.3 run without problems???

A quick answer would be appreciated, as my whole server obviously won't work without pg 😉

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
You need some development libraries. Install the packages for libstdc++-dev.

3e2e5 is not sure to work with anything about 7.1. Although I've made it run on 7.2, but had to modify some things.

4.6 won't run with 7.3, you need 7.2 for that. 7.2.3 is the recommended version.

4.6.1 (which will be released in a few weeks, hopefully) looks like will support 7.3.1.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Hey Roberto,

I just tried to install libstdc++-devel-3.2-7.i386.rpm, but RH told me that it was already installed...

I then tried to configure it without cxx and openssl and it configured fine, but as I wanted to gmake it, it died with tons of errors...

What did you have to modify to make it work with 7.2.3? Although I would rather be able to install 7.1.3! Any more hints?

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Hmm, I don't know. What it looks like is that you're missing some development package.

Red Hat is too hard for me. I chicken out into the smoothness and easyness of Debian 😊

I don't remember what I had to do to get 3.2.5 working on 7.2. It's been too long since I messed with 3.2, but I can probably dig up my changes.

I'm not up to par on 7.3 yet.

-Roberto

P.S.: BTW, I'd much rather go with 7.2 and change 3.2.5.