Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Suggesion: Weekly OpenACS Chat

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Jeff Davis has generously agreed to summarize our TAB chats.  We don't want to publish direct logs for a couple of reasons.  First of all, like everyone else, we just chat and thumb-twiddle for parts of the meeting and then apologize when our net connection crashes or one of us has a power failure (both happened today).  Lots of garbage.  Boring stuff.

Secondly we do discuss certain business and personnel issues which aren't appropriate for community exposure.  Issues regarding employees of Sloan or other entities that by all rights should be private.  Likewise at times business issues may raise their messy head.  In part this isn't so much due to the TAB stuff but rather that we're already chatting so we find it convenient to discuss stuff privately.

Which is why the general OpenACS channel is no longer logged by default, as I understand it.  Right?

I just don't think it's appropriate to publicize information given by, say, Lars Pind on Collaboraid's funding status with the University of Heidelberg.  If Lars wants to make details public, he's free to publish them on his own but I don't think our TAB discussions should be set up as a default public disclosure forum for all private business matters related to dotLRN.

I personally trust Jeff to expose in summary form everything that is of importance to the community that doesn't expose individuals or organizations to public embarassment or ridicule.

And we are planning to publish them in an obvious place, to be announced before too long (a week or two, not sure how long Jeff will take to summarize current stuff and for us to decide just where to dump the summaries).

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
What is true for Jeff and the TAB chats might be true for anyone else and any other topic as well. I think copy from IRC window to the browser for insertion into a bboard message should not be that hard. And this way the poster has the possibility to add a Topic to the chat, continue a further lively discussion in asynchronous mode. If this goes out of control (we have more chat postings than other ones in the forums) we might consider opening up a special forum just for this.

Concerning the prominent space for TAB records. It would be cool if you could post them to the forum, maybe with a [TAB <date>]: <topic> in the subject. This way other people would have an easy chance to comment on and continue your discussions afterwards.