Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Implementing SCORM 1.3 in OpenACS/dotLRN

Collapse
Posted by Staffan Hansson on
All this enthusiasm is really great, but...

I'm going to be very frank, and perhaps break a number of taboos. I see two problems and two solutions. The problems are chaotic competition and absent financial resources. The solutions are organized complementation and diversification of money investments. The ideas and the human resources to implement the ideas into products have always been the core essence of this community, so that shouldn't have to be a cause for major excitement by now. If it is, that's because we (dotLRN?) have lost touch with the original spirit of the community lately.

Complementation, that's the keyword. We can't compete with each other by working on the same products. SCORM itself is a vast field, with lots of separate but interrelated parts. As Michael perceives it, there are three major areas that we're all working on: SCORM, Simple Sequencing, and OKI. SCORM is vast, SS and perhaps OKI aren't. These different areas are all connected to each other and we have to synchronize our works so that the different pieces fit together, but not work together on a one-piece puzzle. The only piece we (Polyxena) have ever laid claim on doing is the actual simple sequencing engine, a well-defined piece of functionality. If we could just get a confirmation that this is left to us, we'll be happy to leave the remaining 99.9% of SCORM work to others and to cooperate in fitting our piece together with the other pieces of the puzzle. Had this confirmation come when we asked for it, the sequencing engine might have existed today.

Ernie's perception that the proposal for Curriculum has been around for a while and that the real implementation has still not begun is very telling of the other fundamental problem: the lacking/lagging finances. Diversification (of investments and risks) has always been a sound economic advise. And yet it seems that only very major projects, like the creation of dotLRN or the implementation of SCORM, receives finances, while smaller and less risky ones, like creating modular pieces of functionality that would make dotLRN more useful, don't. Wouldn't it be prudent to split large projects into smaller pieces, that is, handing out money to smaller units of developers whose responsibility for the product is much clearer, rather than pumping in a large sum in a diffuse all encompassing project. There should be a way for small projects to seek sponsoring and get it (if deserved) in a much shorter time than what is now the case. It's not possible for individual developers (even if they formally are companies) to go on empowering dotLRN at their own expense. And dotLRN won't survive if its developers don't survive.

(I'm truly sorry, Talli.)

Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Staffan,

As I mentioned before in the reply to Lars: as of now we don't have any company/organization funding this initiative. However, we believe this is the way to go, and I'm really happy to hear that Michael feels the same way. I would leave the financial issues to Malte if you want to see how S&R is dealing with this implementation (of course, if he believes it is appropriate).

Our interest in SCORM is not new. S&R has been inquiring about SCORM for at least three months and it was back then when we started analyzing the possibility of incorporating SCORM into OpenACS. In addition, since the very beginning we've been actively looking for partners/developers to work with us.

Now in terms of collaboration, we are quite happy to hear that you guys are working on SS, and I hope, you want to collaborate with us. Yesterday you posted your datamodel and I sent you the specs we have for the sequencing engine. We should talk about the datamodels and further integration issues.

We don't have many resources, but we are on SCORM 1.3 until we see it fully implemented at least as it was described on the first posting I submitted, and that includes a sequence engine -yours if you want to work together.

You take it easy and looking forward to hear from you,

Ernie