Forum OpenACS Q&A: Highlighting hosting as an alternative to installation

One of the barriers to adoption for dotLRN and OACS is  installalation.  If a new person gets curious and considers taking a quick test drive they might not want to go through the effort of installing AOLServer and Postgres etc.

I've noticed recently that some companies are offering OACS hosting service, fully installed, for numbers like $20 a month plus $20 set up fee.  I think a lot of employees at universities or companies who would like to check out OACS or dotLRN might well rather spend $40 to $50 bucks rather then the time to set up a test server.  But put yourself in the chair of some average programmer who had never heard of OACS.  He is browsing the dotLRN website and deciding he wants to try it out. He can easily find instructions for downloading and installation, but it's unlikely he would ever realize he could skip it all for less then $50.

I propose we make a page like https://openacs.org/community/companies/ with links just to companies that provide "instant gratification OACS and/or dotLRN hosting" and link it from the companies page and a couple pages in the installation and download docs so people can find it.

This is not to say we still don't need to improve our installation docs and tools.  It's just a way to support some newbies who are not that cost sensitive and also, I think it’s a good way for the community to support the companies who are doing a service by providing OACS hosting at very reasonable prices.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
We do have this page: https://openacs.org/community/hosting/

We probably should link to it more prominently.

For a lot of us who don't already have a Linux box sitting around that we can install OpenACS on, hosting is indeed an attractive solution, especially at the prices being offered now.  Considering the cost of a suitable computer, and the time spent installing and configuring, $240-300 a year for a preconfigured solution is a pretty good deal.  BUT WAIT!  You also get a free fat internet pipe along with the deal, to handle any traffic you may be lucky enough to get -- without violating any silly anti-server clauses in your ISP's Terms of Service.  Seems like a great deal to me...