Forum .LRN Q&A: Has anyone ever renamed a portlet?

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
A very strange series of problems has been reported by the SloanSpace Admin, and I'd like to know if anyone else has seen anything like this.  I'm not going to file a bug report unless it has happened to someone else, since it's so obscure I can't imagine anyone fixing it.

A group admin somehow managed to rename one of the portlets for her class (specificially, she renamed Assignements to Syllabi).  How she did this is a mystery;  she could not reproduce the steps when asked.  But she did it!  She then found that she could not add the renamed portlet to a page;  it caused an error (unknown) that broke the entire page.

When the portlet was renamed, its associated file storage folder was renamed also.  The site admin renamed this folder back to Assignments manually, then found that she could not create a new folder called Syllabi because the name was already in use.  So clearly something did not get renamed behind the scenes.

Finally, the group admin decided to try to recover by reverting the portal page to its default configuration.  She ended up with a page called "portal revert dummy page 0".

Sound familiar to anyone?

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
Turns out the operations happened in a different order than what we thought - the group admin renamed the Assignments folder, which then renamed the portlet and started all the trouble.  This seems to work ok in dotLRN, though, so it seems to be a SloanSpace-only bug.