Forum OpenACS Q&A: Newbie 4.6 install - package install problems

I've gotten OpenACS installed on a test box and all was looking well until I got sql errors trying to look at permissions within the calendar package.

I removed the calendar package and haven't been able to reinstall it.

Output is below. I've gotten this kind of error fairly frequently. Does this mean that particular packages are buggy, or that something fundamental is wrong with my installation. I can't say as I'm eager to get 98% through a project and then have this kind of behavior pop up.

Or is it just a matter of there not being enough error checking in the package installer?

Is there a way to unmunge a package install?

Albert

--------------------------------------------

Installing packages...

* Installing data model for Calendar 1.0...
          o Loading data model /web/openacs-4/packages/calendar/sql/postgresql/calendar-create.sql...

CREATE
DROP
COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
CREATE
DROP
CREATE
DROP
COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
define_function_args
----------------------
(1 row)
define_function_args
----------------------
(1 row)
COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: AOLserver/3.4.2
MIME-Version: 1.0
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:34:56 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 9032
Connection: close

Request Error

psql:calendar-create.sql:23: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:25: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:26: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:27: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:28: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:30: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privilege_hierarchy_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:31: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privilege_hierarchy_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:32: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privilege_hierarchy_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:34: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privilege_hierarchy_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:37: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:38: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:40: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privilege_hierarchy_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:41: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privilege_hierarchy_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:44: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:46: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:48: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:49: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privileges_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:51: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privilege_hierarchy_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:52: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privilege_hierarchy_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:53: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privilege_hierarchy_pk
psql:calendar-create.sql:54: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index acs_privilege_hierarchy_pk

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Check out the drop script (calendar-drop.sql).  It should be able to drop a freshly installed calendar datamodel, which will enable you to load it again.  If the APM still thinks it's loaded after you drop the datamodel, the easiest thing to do is probably to run the calendar-create.sql script from psql manually.  But check to see if the APM thinks it is installed first, if not you must use the APM to re-install it.

If the drop script doesn't work then we let a nasty bug slip by in our testing process ... let us know how it goes.

Collapse
Posted by Albert Everett on
I've tried the manual drop and create but I got the impression that running the create script on the command line didn't give  the package manager what it needed to know it was there, since the newly command line installed package didn't show up in the package manager even after a restart.

I'm getting the feeling there are still installation issues at play here, since I'm getting sql errors all over the place. For example, I added a subfolder for forums and I get sql problems when I try to go into the new forum I just created. These kinds of problems are probably not normal in a healthy installation.

I'll try a fresh install. My problem might stem from the fact that I needed to use both the OpenACS install instructions along with Gilbert Wong's to make the installation happen on my FreeBSD box. I'm tempted to throw in a Linux disk and try it there.

Thanks for the reply.

Albert

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Albert,

In the APM install there is a checkbox to choose which SQL files to load. If you have loaded them from the command line using psql, you can uncheck the box and just install the package into the APM without running the data model scripts again.

Collapse
Posted by Albert Everett on
Ah, so.

Albert