Forum OpenACS Development: Error when installing from APM

Collapse
Posted by Simon Carstensen on
I am getting a strange error in the news-aggregator package. The error in itself is not strange, but the circumstances under which it occures seem strange.

I have the news-aggregator package running perfectly fine on one of my servers. Today, when I installed it on another server (loading the APM package from a URL), I got an error:

Database operation "select" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.")
    while executing
"ns_pg_bind select nsdb0 { *SQL* }"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)

...etc...
Looking at the error log, it was clear that the .xql file wasn't being loaded correctly.

I then tried installing the package by putting the files under packages/news-aggregator manually and just installing it from there and everything worked like a charm.

I've tried experimenting a bit by installing other packages, both loading them from a URL and also by putting the files there myself and no other package has created any errors.

The bug must be in my code :(

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

/Simon

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Simon, we have been making a number of enhancements lately to the APM , see this thread.

Did your queries work ok after server restart? What was the error message in the log file? From the error message you are showing in the post it looks like the query processor actually finds the query but that there was some error executing it.

Collapse
Posted by Simon Carstensen on
Oh, I forgot that part. The queries actually worked after the installation, but after restarting the server, they stopped working. The error in the log was something along the lines of (from memory):
parse error at or near "*"
and I naturally concluded that the "*" was coming from "{*SQL*}" (i.e. the query wasn't being found).

Let me know if you need the "real" error and I'll re-install it and reproduce it :)

BTW, I installed OpenACS from HEAD.

/Simon