Forum OpenACS Q&A: echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH returns nada ...

In the process of installing AOLserver onto my development box I have tripped on something weird.

The thing is, nothing is returned when I issue;

ola@debian:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

ola@debian:~$
echo $PATH, OTOH, works fine(!)

This is the first time I have tried to run AOLserver as joeuser (i.e., "ola") as opposed to nsadmin. I wonder if this has something to do with it.

My .bash_profile has this addition to it ("/usr/local/pgsql73" being the only difference from the snippet in the install guide):

# For Oracle
export ORACLE_BASE=/ora8/m01/app/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/8.1.7
export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
export ORACLE_SID=ora8
export ORACLE_TERM=vt100
export ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

# For PostgreSQL
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/pgsql73/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql73/lib
I've also made sure there is a newline at the end (I've heard the lack of it could cause problems sometimes) ...

I have also logged out and back in on both the xterm and in/out of X-window ...

What did I miss?

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Does ít help to add '$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:' after LD_LIBRARY_PATH= ?
Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Hi Aldert,

No, that does not help.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Try sourcing it directly, that should do it or show an error if you've made a typo we're not seeing.

If sourcing it makes it appear then .bash_profile's not being sourced when you log in.  Maybe it's sourcing something else like .bash_rc or just the default profile rather than your personal one.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Hi Ola,

First of all, I'd check to make sure you're using bash. You might have another shell by default.

Also, I think you should add in

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/pgsql73/lib

at the end instead of what you have currently.

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
It looks like .bash_profile in my home dir do get sourced, but that it only gets read until it comes to the last "export PATH" statement.
ola@debian:~$ env | grep SHELL
SHELL=/bin/bash
ola@debian:~$ which bash
/bin/bash

ola@debian:~$ env | grep PATH
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/ora8/m01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/bin:/usr/local/pgsql73/bin
ola@debian:~$ source .bash_profile
ola@debian:~$ env | grep PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/ora8/m01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/pgsql73/lib
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/ora8/m01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/bin:/usr/local/pgsql73/bin:/ora8/m01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/bin:/usr/local/pgsql73/bin
I tried and commented everything out and then log out/in. The PATH would then look like this: "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games" ... i.e., without the pgsql bit.

Note that, when it's been sourced, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set and PATH has the "/usr/local/pgsql73" part twice. It does not seem to stop in the middle there ...

Jade, I left it the way you suggest, but like I said to Aldert, it did not make any difference. As you can see, I run bash. Now, bash should work with this syntax, no?

Thanks for the support.