Forum OpenACS Q&A: Oracle won't quit

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
I've had this problem with shutting down my Debian workstation two nights in a row. I've concluded that the hook is that Oracle, controlled by inetd, is shutting down before AOLserver, which is being controlled by daemontools. (The conclusion may be wrong, of course.)

The computer just sits there at the svrmgrl prompt, and the shutdown has progressed too far for me to be able to log in on another tty and kill the nsd processes ...

Has anybody run into this before? What to do? (I seem to recall a posting along these lines some time ago, but searching the forums I couldn't find it.)

/Ola

Collapse
2: Re: Oracle won't quit (response to 1)
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
We don't control our AOLservers via daemontools, so we actually put a 'killall -TERM nsd' (or something similar) in our Oracle shutdown script.
Collapse
3: Re: Oracle won't quit (response to 1)
Posted by Mark Aufflick on

Oracle controlled by inetd? sounds like a recipe for craziness! I am assuming you mean init.d!!

It depends on how you are starting and stopping AOLServer. If you are using inittab directly, you don't have any fine grained control over when in the level shutdown your service is stopped, but you could use levels to your advantage: eg:

• set your system to starup to level 4 (with the initidefault line in inittab)
  • set aolserver to only start for level 4 (the bunch of numbers at the start of the aolserver line of your inittab)
  • set oracle to startup in level 3 in the rc.d folder structure (should already be like that

if you are using daemontools, you could always put a "svc -d /web/aolserver-folder/" in the "stop" section of your /etc/init.d/oracle or whatever it's called on your install.

did that make sense? i know what i meant makes sense, but I may not have said what I meant... if only our brain ran a perl interpreter... (the perl interpreter's golden rule is DWIM - do what I mean, not what I said!)

Collapse
4: Re: Oracle won't quit (response to 1)
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Yes, I meant init.d of course, and sure, what you said made sense. It worked too (with daemontools). Looks like we understand each other perfectly 😊

Cheers!