Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Idea: New Content Paradigm

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Tom ... the CMS/CR (let's talk about the pair because, though Dan moved lots of non-CMS-specific procs to the CR, there's more to be moved) include Tcl API procs that automatically generate the INSERTs to generate new content from the magic views generated for a content type.

Extending this for DELETE wouldn't be difficult, and UPDATE's to the CR are really insertions of new versions (if I add optional non-versionable CR items UPDATEs will need to be figured out for real)

So far packages don't use this Tcl API because, clearly, it wasn't well publicized within aD when packages were written (or the CMS wasn't yet fully integrated) and well, we've been a bunch o' weenies here just trying to get existing stuff to work without doing much to move forward and improve things.

Now we're starting to catch up, though, and exploring the CMS/CR is quite the treasure hunt.

Anyway ... my major problem with your QW work is that we already have two Tcl APIs for generating objects - package_instantiate_object and the CMS stuff.  Rather than add another and have three ways to do this stuff, I'd rather see us figure out one approach to take - the view approach, something like your approach, whatever (though I think the view approach is cool myself) - and to make it work and to adopt it widely throughout the toolkit.

So my lack of enthusiasm for a new approach is just my usual lack of enthusiasm for adding something new to work around the fact that we've got two existing half-assed approaches that are incomplete.  Let's work towards one that works and let's use it everywhere!