Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Reference Platforms and Supported Platforms

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I was wondering what should be our common installation locations. I think installation into /usr/local/aolserver ist fairly common, but what about the control files (we store them in /usr/local/aolserver/servers, but wouldn't it make more sense to store them in /etc/aolserver) ?

How about the logfiles. We store them in /web/log/ as they have a tendency to grow very large and the /web directory is normally on a partition of it's own, so I can prevent the AOLserver logs of filling up my /var partitions.

I asked an Oracle DBA at azri.biz to have a look at the Oracle installation process and look into the use of RMAN for backups (online, using archive mode) as well as LVM (logical volumes) using RAW devices. Though this will be a setup most of us are not going to use, it would give us some information how to scale the database backend. And we could make this as part of a reference plattform for highly visible websites, e.g. together with the multiple webserver setup that Greenpeace has for their Greenpeace planet site.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Control files in /etc/aolserver makes sense to me, but should it be /etc/openacs instead? Files that go there include: openacs-dev.tcl, the analog config file, and the daemontools directory; anything else?

What is the clearest name for the example instance in the documentation? Current docs use either openacs-4 or birdnotes. I used openacs-dev because it goes with openacs-pre and openacs-prod, but it doesn't have much meaning by itself. Can we get new proposal/consensus for the default instance name?

Your /web directory is on its own partition; my /var directory is on its own partition. I don't see either as obviously more right, except that /var/log is pretty standard in unix. Opinions?

The 4.6 docs say that "For security and compatibility reasons [using /web for the web root and running AOLserver as the nsadmin user] is no longer recommended." What are the security and compatibility reasons, and which user should you run aolserver as now? Something doesn't feel right about putting web roots in /home/joeuser/web, at least not for production sites.