Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: General Comments on adp pages

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Ok so maybe I am asking several questions here. One is a basic issue of best practice and the others are more technical implementation issues...

I found this thread discussing using adp versus html for magnet/basic content of a site in general. i.e. What is the preferred format for pages that are mostly static? I assume that lots of folks using OACS are using General Comments. Do y'all keep all your content in HTML pages instead of ADPs?

Benefits of HTML are that using Static Pages, allows you to have General Comments/Links, use the Content Repository and get FullTextSearch via the SiteWideSearch package. (as I understand this so far)

Benefits of ADP are that I can use default-master templates and associated TCL files to access datasources, etc and add a custom look and feel as well as even just a tiny bit of dynamic content to my "static" core site pages. (e.g. I like the context_bar on all my site pages)

If I want to use ADP for reasons listed above, but also want the benefits of the StaticPages, General Comments and/or SiteWideSearch -- do I still have to manually find a solution to do what StaticPages does (for HTML) to my ADP pages?

I see how Joel's "straw man" works for a package but what about ADP pages that do not belong to a package but just serve content? I guess I need to get them stuffed in the CR in the database (only if I want SiteWideSearch?) and get an object id for them (to use General Comments).

Because after reading the using adp versus html thread, it seems like this has been discussed for a couple years, by experienced OACS folks, and solutions have been implemented. Are their solutions not implemented in OACS today? If so, it concerns me that there may be even more to this that I am not understanding. Being new to OACS I don't want to unknowingly corrupt my OACS datamodel...