Forum OpenACS Development: Events package

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I've committed Michael Steigman and Bad Duell's great new events package, which, if I understand correctly, is a heavily modified port of the old ACS 3.x events module.

It's not quite there yet, but most of it is working really well. You can have multiple dates and times and locations for the same activity, you can charge prices for registering, which integrates with ecommerce (doesn't quite work yet, at least not on PG), you can have approval, waiting lists, max number of seats in the room, event organizers, and so on and so forth. Much more than I need, but I can totally see the use.

I've stuck it in the repository at /contrib/packges, then done a few UI enhancements (methinks).

You'll be able to check it out at http://www.collaboraid.biz/events tomorrow, as I start using it to track registrations for the dotLRN seminar and the OpenACS conference.

Thanks, Michael and Brad, for your great work!

/Lars

Collapse
2: Re: Events package (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
Apologies to Matthew Geddert for not acknowledging his contributions. I really don't know the whereabouts of this package, I just got a copy from Michael Steigman. Thanks for letting me know.

And sorry, Matt. Hope you'll forgive me :)

/Lars

Collapse
3: Re: Events package (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
... and, in order to checkout:

cvs -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot co openacs-4/contrib/packages/events

Collapse
4: Re: Events package (response to 1)
Posted by Lachlan Myers on
I've started looking at the package - it's very nice!

Couple of minor issues - they didn't stop me installing
1  If state is entered with more than 2 chars, it barfs a request error. I found this cos we commonly use 3 chars as an abbreviation for our states (Australia).

2  Install did not find a pre-installed e-commerce of correct version, but I forced the install, and it seems OK. I haven't checked the integration with ecommerce extensively.

Collapse
5: Re: Events package (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
Ah, re no. 2, someone else told me about this earlier, and now I realize what happened.

The problem is that what a package 'requires' is not another package, it's whatever another package 'provides'. And unless your package explicitly provides something, it provides nothing.

Ecommerce, specifically, used to not provide anything.

I patched it to provide itself, but I forgot to bump up the version number of ecommerce, so the .info file will actually be reloaded.

I have no bumped up the ecommerce version number to 4.6.2, and updated events to require that latest version, as well as bumped up the version number of events to 0.1d2.

That should cause both events.info and ecommerce.info to get reloaded, and things should then work correctly.

Btw, we've also changed the APM, so packages will automaticallly provide themselves, that is, we shouldn't get in this situation again. This only takes effect the next time you bump up the version number of your package through the APM user interface, though.

/Lars