Forum OpenACS Development: Re: ANN: dotWRK developments

Collapse
Posted by Simon Carstensen on
I am currently working on a project with Janine from furfly that is essentially a first draft of dotWRK. Now that Jeroen seems to be kick-starting things, I thought we might as well coordinate our project with the community.

There hasn't been written any code yet, since we've until now been waiting for the release of dotLRN 1.0 and Collaboraid's new bugtracker code.

First, the vision statement: we're working on what is going to be a site each of furfly's clients and contractors can go to.  For clients, they will be able to  report and check on bugs, ask questions in a forum, and see furfly news items.  For internal people we will have our own technical discussions,  status reports, hour reporting, and task lists.  There may be other things we can do with this as well;  We're open to ideas.

Here's our project definition, which might be a possible step-by-step plan to build on?

The steps:

* finish the bugtracker portlet written by Janine.  This includes tweaking it to make it work with the new bugtracker (the bugtracker portlet hasn't been touched for months), and it will include discussing proper design for various types of users at openacs.org.

* figure out whether dotLRN allows you to specify the default configuration for a class/community (that is, what portlets it is  created with).  If it doesn't, it probably should and we should add  this functionality unless TAB turns it down for some reason

* configure labels set up terms/depts/subjects etc so that we end up  with class URLs something like this:

http://myfurfly.net/dotlrn/classes/internal/furfly/project-management/one-community?page_num=0

So what was Subject might now be called Project, for example.  The idea is to end up with a tree structure
(internal/furfly/project-management in the example above) that makes sense.  So we might have

internal/furfly/project-management
internal/furfly/furfly-website
external/simon/bcuni
external/NYR/nybooks
external/NYR/granta

Etc.  These are just examples;  We're totally open to other structure ideas here.  We could just use communities and ditch the whole  hierarchy thing except we do have at least one client with two sites and this helps make that clear.

Lars has informed me that Collaboraid is already working on loosing up the hierarchy of dotLRN a bit, so this step will need some coordination.

* create classes for each of our existing clients, plus furfly internal uses.  We'll figure out together what they should all be, when we get there.

Proposing the above as a first outline of a project definition for dotWRK, feel free to add to this list with ideas. If the community finds this a worthwhile agenda to build on, let's put on the project page.

I'll be working on the bugtracker portlet, but we should of course be sure to coordinate our efforts as much as possible.

/Simon

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Simon, that link doesn't work for me. I don't have permissions on that section as just a registered user.