Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Is this use or abuse of the Content Repository?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I've been speaking of the "CR/CMS" as a unit, because there's still a bunch of stuff in the CMS that really belongs in the CR.  So look there as well as the CR.

Being able to browse the CR is really something that should be in the CR itself IMO.  Remember it needs to honor permissions!

And the dotLRN file storage portlets and the package itself has nice folder icons and the like - I think the ones in the CMS are too large in general.

Take a look at folder-chunk in file-storage/www.  Not at the horrible kludgey query that works around the horribly kludgey addition of an entirely different type of file object for URLs that doesn't use the CR.  Rather check out how this one folder-chunk template is included in the file storage portlets and main page - it is written as an includable utility.  ISTM that a CR folder browser written as an includable template would be nice, one could include it as a widget then as part of a custom portlet or page.

On my backburner has been the desire to rip apart file storage so it uses the content repository more generically but that's another issue for another day.

You may want to contact Dan Wickstrom, who knows more about the CMS/CR than most of us (and did the PG port from Oracle), and Jeff Davis, who's been in the guts of the CMS package very recently fixing bugs.