Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Make openacs4.tcl the live AOLserver config file

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Joel, I have no problem with your use of "etc/" as the subdirectory to put the AOLserver config file in. It sounds fine to me, I just hadn't happened to think of it myself. Like you say, it's probably better than my "nsd/" idea.

What I'd definitely still like to hear about is people's take on moving the existing OpenACS AOLserver config file out of the docs where it's buried, and putting it where we're suggesting folks keep their operational AOLserver config file. Plus the related "should we jump through some hoops, and what hoops, to make the AOLserver config file browseable online" question.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I did another install and suddenly understood what you were talking about.  You mean, let's make an /etc directory in the  cvs tree containing the config file, right?  Dunno why I was so dense, but I think this is a good idea.  Should we also create empty folders for /log and /database-backup?  How about  files and directories for options like daemontools and analog?  I vote yes for all, since there's an upside and no real downside - if you're poking around in the directories you probably want this stuff.  If you want the stuff, either the new default is the right place or you're non-standard and going to have to move it anyway.  If you're not poking around here, the extra directories don't take up much space or present a security risk.  Anybody else agree or disagree?
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Right. :)

CVS acts slightly suprisingly with respect to empty directories, so you might want to add directories only if we have files to put in them. But, that's just a minor taste thing, either way there's really no harm. Important thing is if we do have good etc/nsd.tcl or whatever other config files to distribute with OpenACS, then yeah, let's definitely create the directories and put them there.