Forum OpenACS Q&A: aolserver 4.0 final?

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Does anyone know when the final version of aolserver 4.0 is expected to be released? Will it contain virtual hosts and internationalization support?

I am currently running a German 3.2.5 site with AOLserver 3.3.1+ad13, but would like to install oacs 4.6 and dotLRN 1.0 in the near future. I only have one static IP + my provider gets easily scared by crackers so he closed down all ports but 80 and 443 😊 or better 😟

I tried to get access to the aolserver mailing list archive, but...

1. I had to register for simply reading the archived messages, which kinda sucked. So I registered!

2. I didn't get a reply message for around an hour. I almost thought that they would want to send it to me via UPS 😉

3. After I finally received the email, I logged in and received the following message:

"Sorry, you are not authorized to browse the archives of the AOLSERVER list from the address you entered in the login screen."

Too bad...

Cheers

David

Collapse
3: Re: aolserver 4.0 final? (response to 1)
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Hi David,
I've seen problems with the mailing list before. If you send an email to Nathan Folkman (shmooved at aol.com) he should be able to sort you out.

Brian

Collapse
2: Re: aolserver 4.0 final? (response to 1)
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
As far as I know, there is no specified release date yet.  Some of the AOLserver Core Team members guessed mid-May during the chat on March 13th, but they stressed that date was unofficial and the ACT hadn't discussed it as a whole.  There should be an update in today's chat.

The current AOLserver 4.0 betas have full support for virtual hosts and internationalization in the core modules - a few non-core modules might need updates.  (Don has already updated nscache.)  More AOLserver 4.0 testing and bug reporting with OpenACS, dotLRN, and i18n specifically would be terrific, if you have time - the more bug reports and patches people submit, the sooner it can be released!  I'd say the betas are definitely stable enough for development and testing purposes.  I also believe AOL has started stress-testing it internally.

Collapse
4: Re: aolserver 4.0 final? (response to 1)
Posted by David Kuczek on
Does anyone run 4.0b4 using virtual hosts and internationalization? Maybe even with oacs 3.2.5 😊

Peter (Alberer), you mentioned some problems concerning templating in another thread and on the aolserver mailing list. You are probably using internationalization down in Vienna?!

Cheers

David

Collapse
5: Re: aolserver 4.0 final? (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
There's a serious bug in Tcl 8.4.* which is going to slow down final release.  Any code using various FILE commands (this would include OpenACS) is at risk, though it is a concurrency problem so hasn't been showing up except under heavy load.  However the concurrency error can cause the wrong directory to be used etc in a file command so is evil, in fact apparently it can cause memory corruption and an AOLserver crash.

Again ... this is a Tcl problem but AOLserver 4.0 requires Tcl 8.4.* so it's placing 4.0 on hold.

I imagine this bug my crop up as an item of discussion in today's AOLserver IRC chat session.

Collapse
6: Re: aolserver 4.0 final? (response to 5)
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
Zoran wasn't at the AOLserver chat, but Nathan said he is working on that issue with the Tcl Core Team, though there is no resolution yet.  The ACT is hoping it will be fixed before mid-May, which is still the target for AOLserver 4.0 final.  There was also lots of discussion about the new nsjk2 module which replaces nstomcat.

Full chat log available at http://empoweringminds.mle.ie/openacs/chatlog/ or from SF.

Collapse
7: Re: aolserver 4.0 final? (response to 1)
Posted by Peter Alberer on
<blockquote>Peter (Alberer), you mentioned some problems concerning >templating in another thread and on the aolserver mailing >list. You are probably using internationalization down in >Vienna?!
</blockquote>

That´s right we are currently running aolserver33+ad13 and openacs-4. As the whole site is currently in german we need the internationalization parts of +ad13. I hope we can soon upgrade to oacs4.7 and I am also really looking forward to aolserver4.