Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: ]project-open[ V3.2.Beta4 Released (V3.2 RC 1)

Collapse
Posted by Robert Taylor on
Frank, as someone running I.T. and having looked at your product, may i humbly suggest that the market is so large that long term benefits of co-operative competition outweigh the american interpretation of capitalism you are applying here?

Unless I'm misunderstanding your interpretation, your approach only applies to to companies in mature markets that are at the end of their growth cycle. Only then is the benefit to any one company greater in a kill or be killed scenario than a co-operative competition scenario.

Thus, your perception of Cognovis or really any other entity being strictly a competitor is a patently unfair label. One should look at them as partners as well.

At this stage of the game, I believe it is wiser to put wager money on trying to grow the marketplace together rather than try to establish some sort of quasi dominance in a particular niche as that is a stragedy that really only works with a pure closed source play.

With that being said, I do appreciate where you are comming from and your contributions to the community are warmly welcomed by us. We look forward to working with you in the future to the degree possible as well as everyone else in the greater community.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Frank and myself talked off site about the issue and resolved in a friendly manner following your's and Nima's advise. I see the major value of ]po[ of being a highly integrated suite for running a whole agency and consultancy. Contacts is complementing this suite by offering CRM functionality that is lacking.

Project Manager on the other hand is suitable for organizations interested in project management based on OpenACS that do not have a need for sophisticated invoicing and complete integration, but use it as a more sophisticated task tracker. We will use and maintain project manager for our existing clients and anyone who is interested to use PM as an addon for their existing site, but work with Frank together based on ]po[ to expand the market for this integrated solution.

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Robert,

Nice point and this analysis applies to all of the OpenACS companies.

Thanks
Caroline