Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Template contract for OpenACS projects

Collapse
Posted by Staffan Hansson on
Peter, thanks a lot for your great feedback. Your analysis is spot on. My document is (intentionally) written as a legal contract and is certainly not very uplifting reading. It was supposed to be an initial draft for a contract template, but even as such it was not general enough, I soon realized. Since I wrote that draft it has become more and more clear that what people really could use is a statement of the community standards or norms, rather than a general contract.

If I hadn't been so lazy I would have offered a new draft, stating community standards instead of legal provisions. Instead I simply told people that they could try to flesh out what my interpretation of these standards are, not in the "Business Relationship" section (which as you note is not really community related), but in the following two sections. When someone does produce a document with the purpose of making the community standards explicit I too hope that it will be an infotaining text, and not a dictating legal one.

I think that addresses your general concerns and most of the faults you find with some particular sentences. There was just a tiny matter I should clarify: the phrase "highly specialized" refers to the services (which certainly can't be performed by any old Microsoft drone), not to the products (which indeed should be generally useful and not specialized or customized to a particular client alone). The phrase can certainly be removed, though. In fact, the whole text can be removed. But we should produce a new document explaining the community standards, I think. It could be appended to contracts, like Malte suggests.

Peter, I applaud you back. Your feedback certainly helped clarify matters, and I'm sure we'll eventually end up with a very useful text.