Forum OpenACS Q&A: Template contract for OpenACS projects

As more and more of the code that is going into the OpenACS toolkit results from business deals between professional developers and institutions investing in the toolkit, there arises a need for the community to express standards for these types of deals. In principle, the contracts for commercial OpenACS projects are now completely confidential matters between two parties: company and client. In practice, however, these parties have no greater wish than to conduct their projects in a manner that is in line with the informal but strict standards within the community.

Actually, when negotiating a contract for a commercial OpenACS project a substantial part of the provisions (terms) in it is general in character, while the rest deals with matters that are project or party specific. A great deal of time is wasted if the parties have to (re)negotiate the general part of the contract, instead of just the particular part. In fact, the business parties signing the contract aren't best suited to specify the standards of behavior that all OpenACS projects should meet. These standards are upheld by the community, and should be formulated by the community.

I've written a draft template contract for OpenACS projects that, after community feedback, we hope to be able to utilize when negotiating our own projects. The dotLRN boards (EB and TAB) have already seen it, and toned down the unrealistic visions of there ever forming a consensus among financers around a universal standard contract. Still, nobody's arguing against the idea of having a contract template around for the benefit of those parties who don't already have a standard contract of their own, and who want to be sure that their project is conducted according to community standards.

Please read through the draft and see if it contains any misconceptions or bad formulations. Modeled on the contracts used in the military industry, I've tried to keep the contract informative yet brief. Right now the draft is published in ETP form, for the sake of easy editing. Should anyone be interested in the resulting contract template, it will be available as a Word document (.doc) or some other format allowing the filling in of the particular project specifications. The pretty version comes with a front page where the contracting parties are specified.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Could we first flesh out the community standards and then make a contract template out of it which could become a standard appendix to any contract (like the GPL most likely is as well). I don't know what the standards are, let alone make a judgement on a contract template.

As for the other terms and conditions, I'd encourage you to get blocks of contract details laid out readily (Confidentiality, Not hiring of Employees, Guarantee (and lack thereof), Late delivery conditions, Not engaging into client's clients (if you are subcontracting), allowance for subcontracting on your own, you get the picture) for easy reuse.

I strongly encourage all that build upon a template contract (your own or the one given by the client) to have the contract checked through a lawyer in the country that governs the contract. It does not mean you will have to change and renegotiate the contract with your client again, but should make you aware of the risks involved and give you an idea if you need to amend the pricing due to the risks involved.

Off Topic: polyxena.net crashes the Safari browser for all pages. Or maybe it's just my computer.

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Steffan,

Thanks for beginning this thread. This is important and I hope to that in the coming weeks and months we will progress in this direction. As you note, we need to move to the generic piece that we can all agree on and then add contract language that's institution specific. Again, I commend for you starting the process.

Al

Collapse
Posted by Staffan Hansson on
Thank you. I gather from the above responses that there is indeed a more generally felt need to get the community standards on print, so that these could be formally agreed to in contracts. Whether this general (OpenACS-wide) agreement should make up the basis of the contract with the particular (case-specific) agreement appended to it (like my draft and Al suggest) or vice versa (like Malte suggests), I haven't formed an opinion about yet.

At any rate, it does seem like a good start to try to flesh out what the community standards actually are. After that we can get them into the contract template in whatever form is most appropriate (appended to it or interwoven in it). You'll find my interpretations of what the community standards are under the headings "The OpenACS Context" and "Open Source Licensing" in the draft. These texts cover the OpenACS demands on openness in terms of the project process and the project product respectively. Please check if my interpretations are valid.

About the Safari bug, it's a CSS thing that they know about ever since Carl reported it to them. Let's wait and see if they fix it for the final release of Safari (it's still in beta, if I'm not very much mistaken). That's what you get for having a "classy" website...

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Staffan,
great document! Here is some feedback:

- I find the following statement a little too strong:

"However, the copyright holder (enjoying guardianship, if not ownership, of the open source code) is obliged to maintain the code in the OpenACS environment."

as it might be taken to mean legal obligation. Also, there is no clearly defined ownership sctructure for OpenACS software, at least not tied to any sort of obligation. Contributors and companies come and go but the code lives on.

- "Under no circumstances will a new package be accepted as an OpenACS package until it has documentation."

This statement is simply not true today and never has been AFAIK. It may be an ideal worthy of aspiring to but it's not a claim we should make presently. Can you soften this sentence a little?

- "The universal aspect of an OpenACS project business relationship is that the COMPANY provides highly specialized code development services (not products) paid by the CLIENT."

I'm not sure what you mean by "highly specialized" but I'm not convinced this is a universal aspect of what we do. Rather, the emphasis is on generic code that is useful to many parties. Examples of such projects include I18N, workflow, and time logger.

- Your section about business relationship layes down sound principles about communication confidentiality etc. However, none of this is strictly speaking related to OpenACS. I guess I am not comfortable with the idea of bundling a web platform like OpenACS with a certain business practice not to mention trying to enforce such a practice. You can recommend or even dictate business rules to your clients, but don't do so under the name of OpenACS - I find it confusing.

- "When the project starts the CLIENT shall make a public announcement of this in the community forum on the OpenACS website.".

This is really an excellent guideline that I wish all projects would follow! If community involvement was bigger we could reach much higher levels of reuse and synergy. Again though, I would soften the language and say "should" instead of "shall", "are encouraged" instead of are "obliged" etc.

- "The COMPANY shall post an initial RFC to the forum, and from then on weekly or biweekly status reports, continuously (intermittently) commit the development code to the development branch of the OpenACS CVS tree, and in general refer development issues to the open forum, where community members can offer answers, suggestions, comments, and other feedback."

Once again, I couldn't agree more with the spirit of these sentences. However, as general guidelines, I think there is a too high level of detail here. The frequence of reports and which branch is used may need to vary from project to preject.

The general problem I have with your documents is its lack of cohesion stemming from it trying to cover at least three somewhat unrelated things - the GPL licence, sound business pratices of a consulting company, and desired behaviour within the OpenACS software project (how we want the community to function). Also, I would like the document to have a more positive encouraging tone rather than the dictating tone of a legal text. I guess the purpose of the document is somewhat unclear to me.

Ok, that's enough random rambling from me 😊 I hope I don't come across as overly critical as I really want to applaud your efforts and I hope that my feedback gives you some new perspective and ideas for improvement.

Collapse
Peter, thanks a lot for your great feedback. Your analysis is spot on. My document is (intentionally) written as a legal contract and is certainly not very uplifting reading. It was supposed to be an initial draft for a contract template, but even as such it was not general enough, I soon realized. Since I wrote that draft it has become more and more clear that what people really could use is a statement of the community standards or norms, rather than a general contract.

If I hadn't been so lazy I would have offered a new draft, stating community standards instead of legal provisions. Instead I simply told people that they could try to flesh out what my interpretation of these standards are, not in the "Business Relationship" section (which as you note is not really community related), but in the following two sections. When someone does produce a document with the purpose of making the community standards explicit I too hope that it will be an infotaining text, and not a dictating legal one.

I think that addresses your general concerns and most of the faults you find with some particular sentences. There was just a tiny matter I should clarify: the phrase "highly specialized" refers to the services (which certainly can't be performed by any old Microsoft drone), not to the products (which indeed should be generally useful and not specialized or customized to a particular client alone). The phrase can certainly be removed, though. In fact, the whole text can be removed. But we should produce a new document explaining the community standards, I think. It could be appended to contracts, like Malte suggests.

Peter, I applaud you back. Your feedback certainly helped clarify matters, and I'm sure we'll eventually end up with a very useful text.

Collapse
Staffan, thanks for applauding me - I think you are setting a good example by doing that...

Just a quick note before I forget. I think the best place to funnel efforts of outlining the community process is our dusty how to contribute page. This page is one of my favorites as it goes to the essence of what the community is about - contribution and sharing. It's linked after a bold text right off the OpenACS homepage so people are not totally unlikely to read it. How about adding a section called something like "I am using OpenACS for a project" or "I'm running an OpenACS consulting Company". I think that would be excellent.

Behaviour in the OpenACS community cannot possibly be part of a *legal* contract betweeen an OpenACS company and a client. Not only is it legally not feasible but it would also violate the spirit of the GPL (freedom).

Collapse
Behaviour in the OpenACS community cannot possibly be part of a *legal* contract betweeen an OpenACS company and a client. Not only is it legally not feasible but it would also violate the spirit of the GPL (freedom).

Peter, if we find my draft contract legalistic to the extreme, it doesn't mean that the solution is for us to become anarchists... 😉

Of course a legal contract between the business parties in an OpenACS project cannot and does not dictate the behavior of the community members at large. But it can and does dictate the behavior or required performances of the contract signing business parties themselves. Even if community members in general were to appreciate complete freedom to behave as they please (which I doubt they do), contracting parties certainly love rules and the predictability that follows from them. After all, legal contracts - including the GPL - state the responsibilities of the agreeing parties for the main purpose of protecting their freedom.

Reportedly, OpenACS professionals could use an explicit statement of what is considered professional behavior when conducting an OpenACS project. If such a statement of acceptable norms of behavior is not produced with the help of the community (perhaps because we find it not feasable or in violation of our free spirit), it will be produced anyway - everytime a business contract for an OpenACS project is negotiated. But then it will not be a general or common statement, and as a result there will not form a standardized professional behavior, that is, a professional standard, within OpenACS.

Having this statement displayed on the OpenACS website is a very good idea. Further, I have gotten the impression that the parties (both companies and clients) that are signing business contracts for OpenACS projects would like to be able to append the readymade statement to their particular contracts, like they would append the GPL, so that they can formally agree on it. That way they wouldn't have to waste time writing provisions of their own regarding common aspects of conducting work on the OpenACS toolkit. Instead they could focus on the more project specific details of the contract.

About the applauding, I always thought the good example is set by the guy who is doing something applaudable, not by the guy who is applauding. I also worry about inflation: applause are much appreciated, yes, but I see a risk of the applause being devaluated if we start applauding each other's applause or applauding for the sake of applauding. I for one would like to know that I'm being applauded for some achievement I've made and not because it's the community standard to applaude people to the left and right. I suggest that we state a legal limit of 5-6 applause per OpenACS project. Just kidding.

Collapse
"...contracting parties certainly love rules and the predictability that follows from them. After all, legal contracts - including the GPL - state the responsibilities of the agreeing parties for the main purpose of protecting their freedom."

The interesting distinction between the GPL and some of the legally binding (potentially) rules that you are proposing is that the GPL adds to the cliets freedom whereas your rules do the exact opposite.

A major challenge (maybe *the* major challenge) that any OpenACS-based businesses face is that of attracting new clients, to a large extent this usually involves convincing them of the merits of open source. Now, a client that doesn't believe in Open Source, and doesn't believe in sharing source code and/or ideas with the community, is very unlikely to enter into any such contract that you are proposing. On the other hand, clients who do belive in those ideas, or can be convinced by us that they are beneficial to them, will follow recommendations that we give them without any need for legal enforcement. So either way, legality in this area achieves nothing, whereas selling people on the benefits of open source along with sound recommendations can achieve a lot. We don't want to be in a situation where clients are obliged to comply with open source behaviour. Instead they must participate out of their own free will because they realize that this is beneficial to them. Think of examples such as MIT, Heidelberg, and Greenpeace and you must realize that this is true.

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Staffan,

Peter writes:

"..[clients] must participate out of their own free will because they realize that this is beneficial to them."

One way, is to present two bids/estimates per project. 1. with propreitary solution/development/maintenance 2. with open-source solution/development/maintenance. Giving the client these choices shows that you are willing to support them regardless of their decision. If they choose propreitary way, the resources needed to support that usually benefit the company enough that it can turn around and support "sacred-cow" open source projects of their liking.

Collapse
Peter, from your post I gather that you've jumped to unnecessarily negative conclusions about what we are trying to achieve here. Let my clarify:

First, the content of the future statement of the community standards is not decided upon yet, so how potential clients might react to my particular initial draft (which I don't think much of myself) doesn't say much about their attitude towards the actual thing.

Second, what we are trying to produce is a statement that refers to such projects that result in code going into the OpenACS toolkit, so any other type of projects (however commercially important to you) are quite irrelevant in this connection.

Third, no potential client in such a project will be compelled to sign any business contract containing the readymade statement, but they are free to do so if they find it to be a handy service in their quest for good relations with the OpenACS community.

From this we conclude, with a sigh of relief, that there is absolutely no need for us to worry about how potential clients that are hostile to the open source ideal would react if forced to agree to the exact statements in my initial draft. This is not even a possible scenario.

This leaves us discussing such OpenACS-friendly clients as MIT, Heidelberg, and Greenpeace. You seem to be supposing that mature institutions like these, in their business relations with professional developers, feel uncomfortable adhering to explicit rules, and that they would rather keep agreements informal - and thus uncontrollable and unenforceable. Perhaps you suggest they are most content when they can just seal a deal with loose promises and a firm handshake.

If you were to study the contracts that Collaboraid have signed with these institutions, I'm convinced you'd find that they are full of (legal) terms and provisions stating what you were supposed to perform in order to make your clients happy. And I'm also convinced that if you hadn't performed so darn well, these loveable institutions would have pointed to the contract to show you that the job performed didn't meet the professional standard that was agreed upon. It would be their right and their responsibility to do so.

The underlying tone in your posts is a surprisingly anarchistic (or naive) one: that explicit rules represent a failure and shouldn't have to exist among friends. The GPL states explicit rules, but because its spirit is that of "freedom" you disregard the fact that it is as dictating as any other legal contract. It seems that you don't like the idea of being tied to the mast. Yet those who let themselves be tied to the mast - or demand to be, like Odysseus (Ulysses) in Homer's Odyssey - do so to free themselves from harm.

When business parties negotiate and sign legal contracts or agreements between them this is not because they are stiff and boring and don't like to be friendly with the people they work with, but because they like to stay friendly with them when conflicts appear. Professionalism is not something people escape to when they can't establish friendly relationships with others, but something they embrace because it improves the work process as well as its results.

Forgive me, I feel really patronizing explaining this to you. As part of a true quality company you surely know this, so I don't see why you choose to suppose that a legal statement that is not only a contract with the company performing the work but also with the community accepting the work is something that would repel clients. Indeed, it would provide the best guarantee that the project is conducted in a professional way that enforces the good relationship with the community no matter what company the client turns to. A quality seal.

Collapse
Torben, until now I haven't considered the need for a standard contract covering projects that aren't directed towards the OpenACS toolkit. Since the community would have no say, or even an interest in having a say, in such closed source projects, there's probably no point in producing a contract of that type. It's not what I set out to do at the start of this thread, at any rate.

However, I realize that you're thinking about this from a pedagogical or sales point of view, so I figure the text you'd like to see produced would be more of an informative statement than a normative one. Maybe such marketing texts belong somewhere on the OpenACS website. Any piece of information from OpenACS explaining how our toolkit can benefit people in different situations would probably benefit OpenACS.

Collapse

Staffan,

You write:

In principle, the contracts for commercial OpenACS projects are now completely confidential matters between two parties: company and client. In practice, however, these parties have no greater wish than to conduct their projects in a manner that is in line with the informal but strict standards within the community.

What are the strict standards of the community? Are they not based on engineering and social/communication standards?

A business contract is the explicit definition of a relationship between parties (business and client).

The relationship between individual participants and an open-source community is based on gift cultural values (shared philanthropy), economic cultural values (shared self-interests, trade) and individual concepts, willingness and ability to participate within the community. The cultural diversity of this international community brings other factors. The interelationship of the community is only limited by the explicitly defined publishing license. Regional common or explicit law may also shape it.

Mixing the two kinds of relationships places additional limits on the possibilities at best. Any attempt to refine the scope of the contract between individual participants and the community will inevitably conflict with individual participation and contribution of some. Not to mention that the legal binding of including the open-source community as a party is not enforceable, and could nulify the validity of the contract.

By comparing a basic contract of an open-source project with a proprietary project, it should be clear that the relationship remains between the two parties. Period.

The contract is not transferable to the community, nor can the community be held responsible for any obligations of any individual participant within the community.

A joint-venture could be arranged between multiple parties, but that still doesn't translate to the community.

In effect, the community is an abundant resource from which one can harvest from and give to without obligation of indebtness (though particpation is much much appreciated).

Recall the GPL:

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

Sections "0" and the NO Warranty Clauses 11 and 12 provide more details. This implies that there is no liability to the community (and copyright holders) for any mis-use by any legal entity that choses to use it.

Perhaps the basic contract could focus on defining a business relationship between a business using open-source software and their clients?

You state that the "terms between businesses and clients are confidential", but most of the terms do begin with a generic behavioral, nonlegal template of sorts. Consider that there is little practical legal recourse between international business relationships; They must be fostered on a social level to work. Relying on the binding of legal contractual terms should be avoided if at all possible. Still, a generic contract could be made for standard practices between a company and it's clients within a region.

Doesn't a business relationship depend on the nature of the business? There are a variety of business models using the OpenACS community resources. The contracts vary significantly. Above, I suggested one way you could foster business relationships to include open-source resources while not limiting your market to those who already know about and accept open-source methods and values. As Malte mentioned previously, you might want to contact a lawyer to be sure to cover the applicability of any contract law to your business model.

Collapse
The other day Dr Phil explained that the difference between a dream and a goal is a timeline and accountability. A good way to attract the attention of potential clients is to tell them your dreams (or visions). But no actual client will pay for a dream; they pay for goals. No clients hand over money to a company without a signed contract, and a business contract states goals and not dreams - it has a timeline and accountability.

This thread is not about dreams and attracting potential clients, even though that is a very important subject to attend to if OpenACS is going to be successful. This thread is about goals and closing deals with actual clients of a certain type - those who want to extend the OpenACS toolkit. It is a very narrow subject, and the objective I had in mind was therefore very limited: get the community to formulate how we expect business parties in projects that result in an extension of the OpenACS toolkit to behave in relation to the community, in order to improve the work process and its result.

If the community could manage to present such a written statement to professional developers and their clients, they would be able to agree to follow these standards when signing the contract for the project. Exactly how they would include the statement in the signed contract is not yet decided. One way is to append the readymade community statement to the specific contract. Another way is to write a contract template containing the statement and append the specific terms of each individual project to this default contract.

My starter-off draft represented this second model, but it was immediately criticized for not being generic enough. Whether this was because the content was not generic enough (which it wasn't) or because the form of a contract template in itself is not generic enough is not yet clear to me. At any rate, we could start off by getting on print what the community standards are, that is, how we expect companies and clients to behave when they work on extending our toolkit. If it turns out that this statement is easily appended to individual business contracts, that's fine with me - having a contract template covering this kind of projects is not vital to me. And I've never felt a need for a contract template covering projects that aren't affecting the toolkit.

What kind of expectations do we have, then? What minimum standards would we like to set on professional projects? Are the following points valid, perhaps?

PROJECT PROCESS:

- Present project plans to the gatekeepers and wait for their go-ahead before starting.

- Publicly announce to the community when a commercial project has started and who are involved.

- Post continuous status reports that the community can comment on, and meet any feedback.

- Continuously commit development code to the development branch of the OpenACS CVS tree.

- If the project results in a new OpenACS package, write standard format documentation.

- Publicly announce when the project is completed, and summarize what's been done and who's to thank for it.

PROJECT PRODUCT:

- The code is released under the GPL, making it open source.

- The copyright automatically goes to the code-developing author but may be transferred to the client.

- The copyright holder has the primary responsibility for maintaining the code in the OpenACS environment.

Collapse
Hey Staffan!
I like those guidelines. My concern was only to make it clear that those are *guidelines* for OpenACS projects and not part of a template for legal contracts between OpenACS consulting companies and their clients.
Collapse
This thread is about goals and closing deals with actual clients of a certain type - those who want to extend the OpenACS toolkit.

Staffan, I was confused by your use of language, for example "closing deals" and "actual clients of a certain type". Really, it seems this thread is about goals and guidelines for those who want to extend the OpenACS toolkit --regardless of any business contract or status of any legal entity, be it nonprofit, for profit, or simply for OpenACS.

The guidelines appear to be general enough and consistent with guidelines suggested by dotLRN and others applied specifically to dotLRN governance:

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=45344

As Peter suggests, these guidelines would be a great addition to the "How to contribute" page.

Collapse
Really, it seems this thread is about goals and guidelines for those who want to extend the OpenACS toolkit --regardless of any business contract or status of any legal entity, be it nonprofit, for profit, or simply for OpenACS.

Torben, if you've gotten that idea it's because you've paid no attention to what I've said, and paid all attention to what Peter's said. By simply reading my initial post - including the third paragraph, which you and Peter seem to have missed - you should be able to realize what this thread is (or was) about: kindly offering a template contract for OpenACS projects (defined as such commercial projects that are aimed at altering the toolkit) that may be used by business parties who don't already have a better contract template around and who want to be sure that their contracted terms don't conflict with the community interests.

The point of having a template, model, or typical example of any sort of thing is that it provides a service to people who are going to produce some specific variant of this general type of thing. So a contract template provides a service to people who are going to produce a contract. If the contract template doesn't suit their needs, they can just say thanks but no thanks and produce a contract from scratch or from another template. The template is just an example.

Saying that the mere existence of a contract template providing a service to those who are in the situation of commercially producing code for the OpenACS toolkit will limit the market to such projects is like saying that just because a tool exists we're forced to use it. I've been diplomatic enough to call this idea naive. In fact, we could (hypothetically) produce a contract template stating that commercial use of OpenACS is prohibited or any other kind of madness, and this would not limit our market or freedom in any way. The only effect such a template would have is no effect at all, because nobody would sign a contract based on it.

And even if some parties would find it in their interest to sign a contract like that, this would have no effect on the OpenACS community and the rest of the world who didn't sign the contract. The fact that a contract only determines the behavior of those who independently and willingly agree to it is so fundamental to law that it goes without saying (thought I). So, "comparing a basic contract of an open-source project with a proprietary project" should not have to be necessary to make it clear that "the relationship remains between the two parties".

Naively, I hoped it was possible to produce a contract template that more than one set of company/client find to be a useful example for more than one project of the same sort. Others who were equally interested in corresponding contract templates for other sorts of projects could do the same, I figured. I have given up on this idea. The obstacle in the way of succeeding with such a task is the widespread notion that attempting to pull a stunt like that means you're a dictator and not a community servant and that "template" is Swedish for "Quran".

I'm very happy if we have managed to create guidelines for work on extending the toolkit. This was not the initial goal with this thread, however.

Collapse
We seem to have reached a consensus around Peter's excellent idea of having community guidelines for professional OpenACS projects published on the OpenACS website. Would the following do the trick?

On the Contribute page we could add a section like this:

I want to conduct a professional project!

If you're a professional developer planning on extending the toolkit with new applications, you and your client might want to follow the community guidelines [link] to ensure yourselves that your project meets expected standards and receives even more appreciation.

On the Projects index page we could add an introductory text also containing a link to the guidelines. Something like:
A number of major ongoing projects are contionusly improving the OpenACS toolkit and extending it with new applications. If you're thinking about starting a new project, you should take a look at the project guidelines [link] to make sure that things go smoothly.
The guidelines could be published under /projects/guidelines and (as previously suggested) the page could read:
Community guidelines for professional OpenACS projects

PROJECT PROCESS:

• Present project plans to the gatekeepers and wait for their go-ahead before starting.
  • Publicly announce to the community when a commercial project has started and who are involved.
  • Post continuous status reports that the community can comment on, and meet any feedback.
  • Continuously commit development code to the development branch of the OpenACS CVS tree.
  • If the project results in a new OpenACS package, write standard format documentation.
  • Publicly announce when the project is completed, and summarize what's been done and who's to thank for it.
PROJECT PRODUCT:
  • The code is released under the GPL, making it open source.
  • The copyright automatically goes to the code-developing author but may be transferred to the client.
  • The copyright holder has the primary responsibility for maintaining the code in the OpenACS environment.
Comments?
Collapse
Staffan,
sorry about the late reply. I like your proposal a great deal.  There are quite a few OpenACS projects (not least after the Copenhagen get-together), some of which are commercial and involve clients, and some which are not (such as volunteer improvements to OpenACS or openacs.org). It seems to me that your guidelines should apply to all these projects, not only professional ones.

My idea was to facilitate and require that every such project has a project page on openacs.org that at minimum has status updates in a blogger and a list of the people involved and some kind of roadmap/task list. For an illustration of what I had in mind, see the I18N project page:

http://www.collaboraid.biz/extranet/i18n/

I will be posting shortly to summarize ideas that were discussed during the OpenACS governance meeting in Copenhagen. The governance that we choose will influence your guidelines to some extent. We are leaning towards a governance structure similar to that of the Tcl/Tk project uses. That topic deserves its own thread.

Collapse
Sounds good, Peter.
Collapse

Staffan,
I have updated the OpenACS Contribute page with instructions to the same effect that you suggested. My wording is different and I'm not covering everything that you suggested. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Collapse
Peter, you've pretty much reauthored the Contribute page, so I understand that you had to reauthor my text contributions too in order to make them fit into it. The old version was more clearly specified into cases ("I want to do this!", "I want to do that!", etc.) - kind of like a how-to. Your new version of the page has a less obvious structure and when it does make use of the old rationale it gets confused (I for one don't expect to find project standards under the headline "I am Building a Website using OpenACS"). Though this may give it a better literary quality, I can't tell, it makes it less informative, to me.

But I suppose it's a matter of personal taste - some like it strict and stripped down and some don't. As long as we make explicit the community expectations and standards, so that people can easily adapt to them, I won't lose sleep over exactly how we do it. Your preferences are as good as mine, but unlike me you're in a position to execute them. Instead of discussing this with me further, I urge you to show some of your acknowledged leadership and just decide for yourself how you want it. I'm sure you've done that already. And that's good. My view has always been that we need more (formal) leadership, not less.

Let me take this opportunity to applaude you (again) - this time for your efforts at forming a more formalized OpenACS governance. I share Don's view on that issue, BTW.

Collapse
Staffan,
I'm open to suggestions on how concretely we can give the contribute page a better structure. Concerning style, yes I did formalize it, that's simply what comes naturally for me. The old page did have a clear overuse of exclamation marks IMHO.