Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Template contract for OpenACS projects

Collapse
Posted by Staffan Hansson on
Peter, you've pretty much reauthored the Contribute page, so I understand that you had to reauthor my text contributions too in order to make them fit into it. The old version was more clearly specified into cases ("I want to do this!", "I want to do that!", etc.) - kind of like a how-to. Your new version of the page has a less obvious structure and when it does make use of the old rationale it gets confused (I for one don't expect to find project standards under the headline "I am Building a Website using OpenACS"). Though this may give it a better literary quality, I can't tell, it makes it less informative, to me.

But I suppose it's a matter of personal taste - some like it strict and stripped down and some don't. As long as we make explicit the community expectations and standards, so that people can easily adapt to them, I won't lose sleep over exactly how we do it. Your preferences are as good as mine, but unlike me you're in a position to execute them. Instead of discussing this with me further, I urge you to show some of your acknowledged leadership and just decide for yourself how you want it. I'm sure you've done that already. And that's good. My view has always been that we need more (formal) leadership, not less.

Let me take this opportunity to applaude you (again) - this time for your efforts at forming a more formalized OpenACS governance. I share Don's view on that issue, BTW.