Forum .LRN Q&A: Link to publications related to OACS and .LRN

Hi.

I'm writing a paper about some user experiences with .LRN and one of the comments from editors were to replace references to web-sites by references to printed articles. Leaving aside the convenience of such thing, the remark got me thinking that it would be good to have a link in OpenACS and/or .LRN web sites pointing to publications about them. Such link would be something different from the toolkit documentation, and would include articles in which OACS/.LRN is mentioned/used, etc.

If you search with the usual engines you find them, but having them linked, or at least mentioned in our web site would contribute to the image of a dynamic and prolific community as it is this one.

Of course another the issue would be who maintains such page, but given the distributed nature of the information, a wiki page would probably adequate.

Regards.

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi Abelardo

I agree that it would be very useful.

Here are some openacs/dotlrn papers you might be interested in:

1. Calvo, R.A, Carroll N. and Ellis, R (2007). Curriculum Central: A portal system for the academic enterprise. Intl. J. of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning (IJCEELL), 2007, Vol. 17 No. 1. (For those interested the package is in CVS)
  2. Ellis, R.A. and Calvo R.A. (2007). Minimum indicators to quality assure blended learning supported by learning management systems. Journal of Educational Technology and Society. April. 10 (2).(an evaluation of teaching strategies using dotlrn)
  3. Turani, A and Calvo, R.A. (2006) Beehive: A Software Application for Synchronous Collaborative Learning. Campus Wide Information Systems 23,3, 196-209.[DOI] (A description of Beehive, also in openacs's CVS)
  4. Ellis, R.A. and Calvo R.A. (2006). Discontinuities in university student experience of learning through discussions. British Journal of Education Technology. 37 (1),55-68.[DOI] (Another evaluation)
  5. Ellis, R. A. and Calvo, R. A. (2004) Learning through Discussions in Blended Contexts. Educational Media International. 41, 3, pages 263 - 274. (DOI)
  6. R. Ellis, R.A. Calvo, D. Levy, K. Tan. (2004) Learning through Discussions. Higher Education Research and Development. Vol 23 (1).
    pg. 73-93.  (HERD Journal)
  7. Calvo R.A. and R. Ellis. dotLRN: Herramienta de gestion de la Ensenanza. Revista IRICE No. 17, 2003 pg 143-50 (general description of dotlrn, maybe outdated for learning about its features, but usful if you need an academic reference in Spanish)
  8. Turani, R.A. Calvo and P. Goodyear (2005) "An Application Framework for Collaborative Learning" International Web Engineering Conference 2005. D. Lowe, M. Gaedke (Eds.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3579, pg 243-251. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. [Springer link] (Design issues of Beehive)
  9. N. Carroll, R.A. Calvo (2005) " Integrating Web Applications and Web Services" International Web Engineering Conference 2005. D. Lowe, M. Gaedke (Eds.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3579, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg [Springer link]
    1. If your library is not subscribed to the specific journal, let me know and I can send you a copy.
      Some are avilable in my site.
      saludos,

Rafael

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
I forgot this is a book chapter that describes the software evelopment methodology used for dotFolio and some of the other projects developed at WEG.

Rafael A. Calvo, Robert A. Ellis, Nicholas Carroll, Lina Markauskaite "eLearning software development processes with the student experience of learning", In Angela Brew & Judyth Sachs (Eds). The Transformed University: The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Practice. Sydney University Press. (to appear in 2007)

This chapter proposes a software engineering methodology based on the traditional spiral methodologies, but extended for educational software. We explain how the proposed ‘spiral-Ed’ methodology has been designed to allow the systematic inclusion of the student learning experience in the development process. We also look at how this methodology was used for several eLearning software development projects and how resulting evidence-based research into the students’ experience informed the ongoing development process. By using results from research into the student experience, we argue that established software development can be improved to produce a better informed design process that is more likely to support effective learning.

The book will appear in 2007 but if you want a copy earlier let me know

regards

Rafael