Forum OpenACS Development: Re: New Specification for Cron Package

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Tom, you write:

"My belief is that most queries/reports used in the cron package will probably be written by a developer, but the new format would allow non-developers to view the cron, and run it when they want.."

I see how requiring the developer/admins to edit/create crons is adequate for many applications. However, I also see how Malte's suggestion would be really useful for dotProject implementations.

Would it be possible for queries to be created that have editable data ranges or parameters, so that the query remains unedited for purposes of cron, but editable within the scope of choosing a range or changing parameters?

For example, could a query be created (by an admin) that allows users to choose which projects they can apply the query to?

It would be helpful to make available a set of queries so that read/write users could choose which db's or projects (and perhaps subcategories etc) to run the cron on, as well as when crons are run --without downgrading the approved query to unapproved and requiring admin re-approval.