Forum OpenACS Development: s5 meets XoWiki

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Hi everybody,

Today, i wrote a small package to interface XoWiki with S5 (http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/). It uses the usual XoWiki functionality (CR, xinha, links, import/export, search, tags, ...) and creates sides as separate XoWiki pages. In slide-show mode, it assembles the slides as needed by S5.

For demonstration issues, i ported a few slides from my OpenACS/DotLRN conference presentation to this package.

Pre-requirements: the actual version of xowiki, postgres with ltree.

This examples serves as well as a demo, how to develop packages based on xowiki without changing the xowiki source.

todo: I have not done anything on reusing the admin functionality more elegantly, which is still following the openacs conventions (directory www/admin). This directory based approach makes it not so easy to reuse it, compared with the main xowiki object oriented functionality. For the time being i have created in my installation a symbolic link from xowiki/www/admin to s5/www/admin. The .apm file resolves the link as a copy and contains therefore a copy of the xowiki/www/admin directory.

The xowiki-s5 package can be downloaded from http://media.wu-wien.ac.at/download/s5-0.1.apm

Collapse
2: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Gustaf, This sounds very interesting.

About reusing www/admin pages. What I do is create an index.vuh file to redirect to the package I want to reuse the files from. This works just the same as a symlink would. In addition you can write code if not all the pages should be available or some other processing is needed.

Collapse
3: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 2)
right, that was my approach as well, but i have not done it. The package is in a very early stage (less than 1 day old). I would like to find a generic approach with as little as possible fiddling in the index.vuh file....
Collapse
4: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
In case anyone is interested you can redirect to another package like this:

Survey Library is a package that reuses most of the admin pages from survey-builder-ui (which in turn reuses the survey package data model, but provides a new UI)

http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/survey-library/www/index.vuh?rev=1.2&view=markup

#
#
# Serve up survey package pages under survey-library to add and edit items
#
# @author Dave Bauer (mailto:dave@thedesignexperience.org)
# @creation-date 2004-09-19
# @arch-tag: 35a5ad30-8b91-4a5b-b2a5-90257366bf4e
# @cvs-id $Id: index.vuh,v 1.2 2005/01/13 13:58:48 jeffd Exp $

set page [ad_conn path_info]
rp_internal_redirect /packages/survey-builder-ui/www/admin/${page}

It's also possible to restrict which pages can be redirected, just put a list of pages and check the URL against the list.

Collapse
5: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 1)
I made an updated version of the s5 package, which uses now a .vuh file in www/admin/. This seems to work quite well in combination with the .vuh file in www/. Together with Günter Ernst, i fixed a small bug in the standard style, which made it impossible to use the slide selection in the right lower corner on IE7 (problem with event bubbling). On IE, it is not perfect (the sizes and positioning of the footer on IE is not correct, but all css), but at least firefox and Safari work quite well.

The updated xowiki-s5 package can be downloaded from http://media.wu-wien.ac.at/download/s5-0.2.apm

Collapse
6: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 5)
Btw, i would love to see to be able to inherit the package parameters instead of having to copy them over from the .info file.
Collapse
7: Re: Res: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 1)
Posted by Cesareo Garci­a Rodicio on
Really Amazing! Really good work!

I normally use WimpyPoint for my presentations, but this approach is very interesting. Portable, intereactive (JS), simple.

Do anybody have plans to use S5 with WimpyPoint? I mean, would be easy (low cost) to use S5 standard in WimpyPoint?

Or definetly we can began tu use S5 inside xowiky and abandon WimpyPoint?

Collapse
8: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
I would recommed to deprecate wimpypoint.
Collapse
9: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 1)
A slightly improved version of the s5 package is available (requires recent version of xowiki). It supports more controls on the "slides" page (edit, add new with auto-increment of page_order, delete)
http://media.wu-wien.ac.at/download/s5-0.3.apm
Collapse
10: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 1)
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
I installed the latest version of the s5 package. I've seen it creates a link named s5 in the site-map. However, when I got to s5 link, I got this error:

Error: GET http://192.168.6.35/s5/?
referred by "http://192.168.6.35/admin/site-map/";
during '::1500600 url'
::1500600 ::xotcl::Object->configure
::s5::Package ::xotcl::Class->create
invoked from within
"my create ::$package_id -url $url"
(procedure "require" line 8)
::s5::Package ::xo::PackageMgr->require
invoked from within
"my require -url $url $package_id"
(procedure "initialize" line 21)
::s5::Package ::xo::PackageMgr->initialize
invoked from within
"::s5::Package initialize -ad_doc {

This is the resolver for this package. It turns a request into
an object and executes the object with the comp..."
(file "/var/lib/aolserver/spb/packages/s5/www/index.vuh" line 2)
invoked from within
"source [ad_conn file]"
(procedure "rp_handle_tcl_request" line 3)
invoked from within
"$handler"
("uplevel" body line 2)
invoked from within
"uplevel $code"
invoked from within
"ad_try {
$handler
} ad_script_abort val {
# do nothing
}"
invoked from within
"rp_serve_concrete_file [ad_conn file]"
(procedure "rp_serve_abstract_file" line 60)
invoked from within
"rp_serve_abstract_file "$root/$path""
("uplevel" body line 2)
invoked from within
"uplevel $code"
invoked from within
"ad_try {
rp_serve_abstract_file "$root/$path"
set tcl_url2file([ad_conn url]) [ad_conn file]
set tcl_url2path_info..."

I'm using head version of Xowiki and XOTCL.

Collapse
11: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 10)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I cannot answer to your particular plight, but I got an updated version of s5 which allows you to run a notes window while doing your presentations. As this is solved using a cludge at the moment (using description for the notes) I might upgrade that to use xowiki::Forms instead.
Collapse
12: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 10)
I am not sure, what's wrong in your installation. Most probably, there are earlier errors after restart of the server. To ease communication and version management, i have added s5 to cvs head and set the dependency to xowiki 0.70 and xotcl-core 0.70.

Note that there is no head version of XOTCL, but just a head-version of xotcl-core. XOTcl is a C-level Tcl extension, currently released in version 1.5.4.

Collapse
13: Re: s5 meets XoWiki (response to 1)
Posted by Michael Aram on
As this is the most prominent result if you search for "xowiki s5" in Google, I just wanted to mention here, that:

The package "s5" can now be retrieved "as usual" from the openacs cvs repository (HEAD).

Current version is 0.8