Forum OpenACS Development: Re: General Comments package update plans

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Hi,

Yeah I guess archiving cr_items +/or cr_revisions is another option. This just all seems like more maintence and overhead than something as simple as GeneralComments needs... I can understand the philosophy that all content be in one place but I'm not sure that it makes it easy +/or fast to do what I'm trying to do.

Another concern for me specifically, is the way Search works with the CR. Using the Forums as an example again: the Search results contain multiple links to what is basically the same content (single messages and then the thread itself, with each single message of course being displayed out of the context of the thread) which makes it hard for the user to know what content he has seen already and that some content in the Search results will actually be duplicates (displayed on different pages).

So besides overhead + maintenance of using the CR, my question would be will the GeneralComments Search results, since they would use the CR  FTS Search procs, be able to return just the associated StaticPage the GeneralComments show up on OR will we be getting Search results linking to single pages showing any single GeneralComment out of context? This will be confusing for users.

I guess I'm confused also in that I was looking at the CR, with it's versioning and extended custom attributes, as more of a CMS solution... which would imply to me  that _all_ content wouldn't necessarily belong there.

Where can I read more on DonB's advice on CR usage?

thanks for the feedback all:)