Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Scalability of acs_objects and acs_object_context_index

The view is now literally a couple of orders of magnitude faster in some (not all) cases in Oracle, varies little in performance whether an object gets a privilege directly or through inheritance, and can be much, much more than a couple of orders magnitude faster in PostgreSQL (the view would occasionally eat all virtual memory and cause Postgres to get very unhappy.)

I don't think your statement's really true anymore.  I added the permissions check into SloanSpace's file-storage folder display query on their test server (they'd taken it out for the very reason you state) and it only slowed the query by about 10-15%.  That's not a bad penalty at all for the fine-grained control you get (if you need it.)

I forget how many files were in their system at the time but I know there were over 850 URLs alone and that the vast majority of entries were not URLs.  10-20K files at least and a half-million objects ...

YMMV of course.

Wow! Don: it looks like I really need to revisit my thinking on data model design. If real permissions can now be queried so efficiently, things I thought were just impossible in the real world may now be the only reasonable way to do things.