Forum OpenACS Q&A: Wanted: Helpdesk Package

Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
I've been asked to look at implementing a web based helpdesk call logging on our intranet. As I recently snuck OpenACS 4.6.2 on a machine (they wanted to serve some static pages so that's what they got) it would seem the ideal candidate.

The requirement is to log support calls, follow them up and/or  close them and later to allow enquiries so that previous calls become a knowledge base.

Has this been done by anyone? Is there a candidate package which could be modded? Or should I sharpen my pencil and start speccing it out?

- Steve

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I don't know the details of your application, but perhaps you could use bug-tracker?

It might be a good place to start out, in any case.

Collapse
Hi Jade,

I'd thought of using Bug Tracker but a helpdesk issue has a slightly different slant to a bug. It can be anything from a simple user query (how do I save a file?) to a full blown bug which would be raised in the bug tracking system. Also the management reports would have a different focus, tending toward things like rate of call completion and identifying areas that require training.

We use Bugzilla at the moment although I would prefer to move to Bug Tracker if I can get the helpdesk onto OACS as we can then integrate the two systems giving an option to automatically raise a bug from a support call and track its resolution.

I've just been looking at the Ticket Tracker docs which suggest this might also be a good starting point.

- Steve

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
You also might want to look at Workflow.

I'm just learning it right now, but my understand is that you can customize bug-tracker pretty easily to whatever sort of workflow you like. You might talk with Lars (the author) about it.

I'm not sure about the reporting options and so on. I'm sure someone else here can shed more light on that.

Collapse
Posted by Tom Mizukami on
Steve,

I think the new bug tracker is the ideal place to start. The name is a little misleading, you can choose its initial configuration as a bug tracker or a more general ticket tracker. It is based on the new workflow package.

Collapse
Posted by C Sarisky on
I'm using ticket tracker for help desk functions, at the moment.  On my to-do list for this summer is to do a minor re-write to changes how it handles permissions for viewing tickets.  It works for the limited functionality I need, but YMMV of course.
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Not to discourage you from using OpenACS for your helpdesk (we do it as well), but you might want to take a look at OTRS (http://www.otrs.org), which offers al lot of features that bug-tracker is still missing.
Collapse
Posted by A.G. van der Wiel on
Scarab, a nice highly configurable project/module/issue tracking system. Still in devellopment but allready very usefull.
http://scarab.tigris.org
Collapse
Thanks guys

Its useful to be able to crib off these other packages but I think I'd like to go down the OACS route for several reasons;

1. It'll be a good package to learn from.
2. I can provide a bespoke solution to suit our inhouse way of doing things rather than changing our methods to suit the program (as we had to with Bugzilla e.g)
3. I can use or link it to Bug-tracker - and so oust Bugzilla.
4. I can show the boss an example of this OACS stuff I'm always going on about (were a J2EE house).
5. and not least its good kudos to develop the inhouse tools rather than just bring them in :)

- Steve