Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OpenACS Official Public Testing Server Discussion

Collapse
Posted by Michael Cordova on
I agree with you Avni, that kind of servers are really useful for the community. As Raul said, we (at UNED) have the official testing servers: running openACS (A) and dotLRN (D), each with PostgreSQL (P) and Oracle (O), so... 4 servers in total: A+P, A+O, D+P, D+O.

I will like to emphasize the difference between staging (or pre-production, or demo) and (automated) testing servers. I think both are important: testing for developers, and demo for final users or the marketing team.

I like a lot the way Viaro Networks show their work at oacs rocks!, and also ]po[ has a nice web, with a lot of documentation, a good marketing and a big online demo button.

Collapse
Posted by Avni Khatri on
Hi Miguel,

Thanks for your response.
I feel that one of the community's biggest problems is that we have "official" servers all around the world, but don't have documentation on https://openacs.org/ saying which server in which country is being used for what and who do I contact to access that server?

So as a new developer to the community (or even an experienced one),
I would have a hard time finding out:

1. Who do I contact to submit code?
2. What is the name of the production server (cvs.openacs.org)?
3. Where can I go to test the most recent changes to OpenACS?
4. Where can I go to see a production instance of OpenACS being run?
5. What is the process for getting code submitted to OpenACS?

I am not sure what the right solution (what's best for the community) is still..
Perhaps as a first step, just adding a wiki page?

On a side note - I spoke with my boss (Robert (Buddy) Dennis) and he said he would look for a box that OpenACS can use. We have a full-time sysadmin (Patrick Alger) that can maintain the box.

Thanks,
Avni