Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Chat package HEAD branch

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Does anyone have a working version of the chat package before the changes introduced by telefonica? They made it in to oacs-5-3 as well, but I think there were some other improvements by gustaf and peter, which are useful. Anyone, anywhere ?
Collapse
Never mind, found it on the oacs-5-2 branch. For the sake of a stable release, could we either make sure that oacs-5-3 chat requires .LRN or that you copy the version from oacs-5-2 over there?

Sorry for being harsh on you and I have absolute faith that you will in the end provide a decent enhancement to the chat package, but knowing the beauty which resides in oacs-5-2 and seeing the major troubles created in oacs-5-3 and HEAD I strongly encourage you to rework the commits if you have the time. I hope my comments so far as well as the commit done will get you started in this direction.

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Malte,

For now I've added a dependency to dotlrn on oacs-5-3 branch.

When we branched dotlrn we didn't realize that chat package had changed since the oacs-5-2 version (my bad, sorry). I'll add this item to the .lrn meeting agenda to discuss what to do about it.

Collapse
Emmanuelle, just to make sure, my comments were directed in the direction or Telefonica, not you. To my knowledge none of your commits has done anything and I do have the slight suspicion that commits to 5.3 have not been properly rolled back after the decision to commit the changes to HEAD, but I did not want to revert that either.

In my opinion chat should not be dependent on .LRN. If it becomes per design, please make sure to fork it and give it a special name, as I love the package but do not have .LRN installed all the time.

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Malte,

Yes I understood. But still, my bad has been to branch without checking the state of the package...

Thanks for testing and catching all those issues. As I said in my previous post, we'll discuss it at the .lrn meeting today. If you can join, please do (16:00 gmt).