Forum OpenACS Q&A: Upgrading 5.0.4 -> 5.3 ?

Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
Hi All,

I have a dotlrn site running openACS 5.0.4/dotLRN 2.0.3.

I would really like to get up to running something like the latest release. I've tried the directions here: https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-1/upgrade-openacs-files.html and https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-1/upgrade-5-0-dot.html, using the 5.2.3 tarball I've failed to get it working. (Non-cvs site, so I was copying files over.) Copying the files over the existing files (which I think is what the directions say to do?) doesn't seem to work. I can't even get to the install page if I do so (error message everywhere, missing procs, etc). I guess there've been too many changes?

Any suggestions for how to do this upgrade? Do I need a 5.1 tarball for an intermediate step? (If so, where do I get one? I don't see one available to download.)

An alternative to actually doing a real upgrade might be something like:

-- dump out custom data (thousands of algorithmic homework problems), categories, and relevant acs_objects.
-- download tarballs of all file-storage contents.
--Install vanilla latest and greatest, add custom tables for the thousands of homework problems.
-- Load custom data, resetting acs_object_id_seq afterwards
-- Load tarballs back into file storage

Would that work? It seems like the data I want to preserve involves few enough tables that I -might- be able to make it work, but surely there are upgrade scripts already that can do an upgrade from 5.0.x to 5.3.x, and I just am doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
You might try upgrading using the 5.1 tarball first. We normally don't test quantum-jump upgrades, and are dependent on existing users to test incremental upgrades. The latter is more likely to work easily, though.

And, also, as you've noticed, there are instructions available for the 5.0->5.1 step :)

Collapse
Hi Don, thanks for the response

I'm trying to do an incremental upgrade, using a 5.1.1 tarball. (Aside: I don't see a 5.1.x tarball available in the downloads section - this is one I had "laying about".)

(Excuse the long post. I figure either I'll show someone else how to solve the problem, or else maybe it'll help someone to help me!)

chem_new is my openacs instance, so I did:

cp -rf openacs-5.1.1/* chem_new
(after moving the etc/ folder so that my configuration settings wouldn't get overwritten)

I can see the front page of the site, but attempting to go to /acs-admin gets me:

can't read "node_url": no such variable
while executing
"set admin_url "${node_url}admin/""
("uplevel" body line 2)
invoked from within
"uplevel 1 $code_block "
("1" arm line 1)
invoked from within
(etc etc)

So I got clever and went directly to /acs-admin/install/, which did serve up a page.

I chose "upgrade from local" and got:

Invalid switch: "-unclobber"
while executing
"template::multirow__arg_parser"
(procedure "multirow" line 1)
invoked from within
"multirow -unclobber foreach packages {
set install_url [export_vars -base install-2 { package_key repository_url }]
}"

Ok, so the unclobber switch must be new in 5.1. So I went to /acs-admin/apm/ and reloaded acs-templating.

Then I got
unknown command "subsite_id": (etc)
when I tried to do "upgrade from local".

I thought I might reload some other procs to fix it, but at that point, the acs-admin/apm page was also broken (same subsite_id message)

So I restarted the server. Based on error log spam, tcl procs loaded OK.

After restart, the acs-admin page opened up fine. I went to "upgrade from local file system", got a list of applications, checked them all, clicked the "install checked applications" button, and nothing happened. I tried with both Firefox and IE, nothing. Firefox says: "acs_ListBulkActionClick is not defined"

Any thoughts, anyone?

Collapse
Ok, so I can click package names and install them one at a time.

I got some failures, mostly from content repository. Upgrading from repository (which took me to 5.1.5) appears to have done the CR upgrade without issues, not sure why it didn't work from the tarball, but OK!

I'm very slowly upgrading to 5.1.5 from the repository, hoping that at some point, something will fix my javascript blues so that I can do this in one sweep instead of one package at a time.

Collapse
So upgrading dotLRN caused errors (on every page), which I solved (temporarily) by going into packages/dotlrn/tcl/navigation-procs.xql and deleting the line "and hidden_p = 'f'"
Collapse
Ok, I'm down to just having an issue with file storage (and its portlet), and then I'll be up to 5.1.

Any thoughts?

[31/Jul/2007:11:36:30][10804.114696][-conn4-] Error: apm_package_install: Error installing File Storage version 5.1.5d3: psql:upgrade-5.1.0a4-5.1.0a5.sql:62: WARNING: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function acs_sc_impl__new
psql:upgrade-5.1.0a4-5.1.0a5.sql:62: WARNING: line 9 at assignment
psql:upgrade-5.1.0a4-5.1.0a5.sql:62: ERROR: Function acs_object__new("unknown", "unknown", timestamp with time zone, "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", character varying, "unknown") does not exist

Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
Don't forget to update the templates in /www - blank-master, site-master, etc. and the CSS stuff. That should fix listbuilder.
Collapse
Ah-ha, I manually reloaded acs-sc-packages-create.sql, and now I can install file storage.