Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Querying other DB's from OACS

Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
Thanks. So would I be opening a hermetically sealed can of the genus Lumbricus in trying to adopt the API to work with more than one DB?

If so I'll look at either accessing the DB the old AOLServer ns_db way or replicate the tables in the OACS DB. I had thought of using a scheduled proc but if I'm going down this route it may be worth looking at a replication journal and applying that. Don't no if the Postgres replication stuff has moved on much - last time I looked it was still a bit virgin.

Steve

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
If you like the OpenACS db api better than ns_db in the first place, then you are also going to like it better for accessing your second database as well. The only question is whether you want to take the trouble to back port the mult-db support to 4.6.x or not. If you're going to have lots of code that needs to talk to your second database, I'd do it. If you just have a couple utility procedures, then it's probably not worth the trouble, just use ns_db for now and you can change those couple procedures when you upgrade to 5.0, if you feel like it.

Hm, when is OpenACS 5.0 scheduled for release anyway? I'm not sure.

Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
<blockquote>Hm, when is OpenACS 5.0 scheduled for release anyway? I'm not sure.
</blockquote>

Late September according to this thread https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=114675

Steve