Forum OpenACS Development: Assessment Section Points

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
As far as I can tell, section points for assessments don't really work. I can't see anywhere they are set. You can set points per question, but there isn't any reflection of this in the section.

How is this supposed to work? What is the relationship between the question points and section points?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
The assessment design docs don't show points for sections, and afaict there are many changes from the original design in the actual code.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
It looks like this feature is not complete, but the calculation of the final score relies on this, which is the real bug.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Does ANYONE use scored assessments? My review of the code shows it is imcomplete and the existing code can never calculate a score on an assessment.

This required the column "points" in as_assessment_section_map to be set. There is no code to set this column, so no points can ever be calculated.

Collapse
Posted by Raúl Morales Hidalgo on
I've never got it to work either, neither the section points nor the global points. The individual validation seemed to work, though.

On a related topic, Does anybody know how does the "tcl script for validation" work?

Collapse
Posted by vivian Aguilar on
Do you mean Actions?
If yes here is documentation http://www.openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-2/assessment/asm_trigger_doc/

if you have more questions regarding this subject let me know maybe i can help you.

Saludos =)

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
What I have done is made the score calculation work by

1) add up all the points the user got for each item
2) adding up all the points for every item answered in a session
3) divide the users points by the total points
4) multiple by 100

This takes into account assessments where all questions do not bear points. It does not allow variable weighting of sections etc. This feature appears unfinished.

There are two columns for section points 1) as_sections.points 2) as_assessment_section_map.points.

It's also not clear variable weighting is useful for general users of assessment and it could add great complexity to the user interface. I can imagine statistical analysis of the points per section might be useful, but for a standard multiple choice test, its overkill.

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hello Dave! The University of Valencia uses the assessment with scores. In the version 5_3 is necessary apply this patches to work with points.

Greetings.

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
The pathes:

diff -uBb /u/soft/GROUPWARE/INSTALACION_07_08/openacs-5.3.2_b1_CVS/assessment/www/asm-admin/section-form.tcl assessment/www/asm-admin/section-form.tcl > pacth_sections_points.txt
http://aulavirtual.uv.es/ficheros/view/recursos/pacth_sections_points.txt

diff -uBb /u/soft/GROUPWARE/INSTALACION_07_08/openacs-5.3.2_b1_CVS/assessment/tcl/as-section-procs.tcl assessment/tcl/as-section-procs.tcl >
pacth_sections_points2.txt

http://aulavirtual.uv.es/ficheros/view/recursos/pacth_sections_points2.txt

Collapse
Posted by vivian Aguilar on
Hello Daria,
I cant see the patch..
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Dario,

Did you mean you have a patch to fix the score calculation? I have made my own changes, but if you have fixed it as well, I'd be interested to see what you changed so we can get this fixed in the official version.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Galileo uses assessment with points / scores.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I am curious how you got it to work :)

Right now you have to manually enter the number of points per section, and its not clear to a user how his is related to question points etc. That is unless you are familiar with the code, it is not clear what happens when you set the section points.

Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
So, did somebody actually made this points stuff work?
Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Yes. dotlrn 2.4.1 should include the fix for that.
Collapse
Hi Emmanuele,

It happens that I'm looking at the CVS and can't see many fixes on that part. I'm trying to provide points and comments to people's answers, but it seems that the interface to do that doesn't work.

I'm fixing this and other bugs in assessment, like typos in some vars and URL errors, trying to provide a more clean interface. Is there anyway you guys can look at my code and see what can be put back in the package? Maybe I can provide some patch so you can analyze, I don't know.

What is the way to do that?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
This should be fixed on the oacs-5-4 branch in CVS (which would include dotlrn 2.4.1).

If you like you can submit a patch. There definitely are more bugs in assessment. But from your description of the problems they look like bugs we already fixed. We definitely fixed some URL bugs also.

Collapse
Hi Dave,

I'm taking a look at the CVS activity and I'm not sure if I'm doing the same as you guys. My focus was about action and trigger execution and to provide grades in a section based assessment.

I can see the datamodel is ready to calculate section points as you said, but it's not working. In my analysis, I found four tables wich seems to be involved, in that way:

as_item_section_map -> It says the question value
as_item_data -> It says the total points the user was able to reach in that question
as_assessment_section_map -> Maximum points for the whole section
as_section_data -> Total points for the user in that section

The pages to provide points for the students were not working, mostly based on asm-admin/results-edit, and I guess I was able to fix those. The thing now is to provide the student points for the whole assessment, wich doesn't seem to be working.

I agree with you that the best solution for this is to use triggers in the database, but I don't want to fix this myself alone and lose all my work when I have to upgrade the package. I thought maybe you could give me some directions so I can work on it, and then give you the code for analysis and commit in the CVS. What do you think?

Collapse
Posted by Luke Pond on
Eduardo, bug 3145 has a patch that calculates points per section correctly so that the session's "percent_score" column will be correct. I am using this to provide assessments with scoring.