Forum OpenACS Q&A: Boston OpenACS Social

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
We need one soon! Carl, Samir and David K. are all in town for a limited time.

I am out of town next Wed-Mon :(  So please not next weekend.

How long are people in town for?

Caroline

Collapse
2: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Samir Joshi on
Yes, it will so cool.

I am here for at least another month...so not in hurry but can't wait either :)

-Samir

Collapse
3: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Werner on
Is this gonna happen? I might make the drive up from CT ...
Collapse
4: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
I am around for a while (a.k.a. 2.5 months) so I am flexible. Evenings any day this week or next week is fine with me.
Collapse
5: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by John Sequeira on
I'd like to propose next Monday,  November 3 7pm at RedBones for the Boston OpenACS social.  It worked pretty well there last time.

Does that work for folks?

Collapse
6: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 5)
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
I'll be there. :)
Collapse
7: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 5)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
John, Thanks for proposing this. I will be there..Al
Collapse
8: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 5)
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
See you then John. 😊
Collapse
9: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Talli Somekh on
I'll be in town then too, and I can never turn down an event at Redbones!

talli

Collapse
10: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Samir Joshi on
I'll be there !
-Samir
Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
I'll be there!
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I'll also be there.

There will be a pre-social meeting to chat about CMS issues from 4:30 until we leave for the social. So far scheduled to attend are myself and Carl Blesius. Anyone in invited to stop by to chat.

We are meeting at:
MIT Sloan School of Management
50 Memorial Drive
Cambridge MA 02142

Map: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=50+memorial+Drive&city=cambridge&state=MA&zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
i'll be at the CMS discussion too.

talli

Collapse
14: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Luke Pond on
Sounds good!  I'll show up for the CMS meeting too.
Collapse
15: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Rich Graves on
In this context, does "CMS" mean Course Management System (in which case we might be getting interested again, after a year hiatus) or the Content Management System specific to openacs (in which case it's over/to the side of my head for a while).
Collapse
16: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Rich,

I originally meant Content Management. Course management could be implemented similarly.

Also closely related is knowledge management.

I am interested in making it easy to add "stuff" to the database, give it a URL, and present it to users.

Collapse
17: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Wait, did you mean the CMS package? I hope to resuse the useful parts of that package, but its more about implementing a content management user interface that makes it easier to create content.
Collapse
Posted by Rich Graves on
Um, I just meant the "pre-social meeting to chat about CMS issues." 😊

Brandeis dropped out of sight as far as openacs is concerned about a year ago, then we started thinking of looking again and hey, there's a social on Monday...

If you've got technical issues to work on, I'll stay out of your way, lurk and maybe have some BBQ later.

Collapse
19: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Rich,

If you can make it, I am sure it will be interesting. We don't have any technical issues to work on. I am thinking more of stategy, direction, and use case types of discussion.

I definitely want to keep in mind the additional things like learning object repository, knowledge management etc. although I think the first released product will be just a content management system.

So anyone with any interest in content management at all is welcome.

Collapse
20: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Dave,

Can you give me some info after the CMS meeting?  Unless someone is willing to fly me in there.  I will be stuck here half way around the globe.

Collapse
21: Re: Boston OpenACS Social (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Jun,

Definitely I will share what results from this "meeting". I hope this will get us back on track to get at least one CMS user interface into OpenACS.

I am not yet sure which room we are going to meet in to talk about CMS, so I suggest we meet in the lobby of Sloan at 4:30pm (there are little tables, lounge chairs, and sometimes even free coffee and treats). We can then go to the room at around 4:50pm (unless the treats warrant staying in the lobby). I will tape our final location on a white piece of paper close to the elevators for anyone that might come late (will write CMS in big letters on the paper). See you this afternoon.