Forum OpenACS Q&A: New HEAD HTTPS behaviour breaks login ...

Platform: Debian Sid
OpenACS HEAD as of Oct 2, 23:30 PDT.
AOLServer HEAD as of Oct 2, 23:53 PDT.

Got the data model installed just fine. But my setup is on port 8880, and trying to log in tries to set up an HTTPS connection to port 8880, and not to port 443, which is what's listed for secure connections in my config. So it fails, and I can't even log in.

I like the idea of the OpenACS, and I love Tcl and PostgreSQL, but I think I'm better off waiting until there's a Debian package for sid. All I wanted to do was see if my AOLServer bug was reproducible on Debian as well as FreeBSD, and it's soaked up two full days of my time.

You've all been very helpful, expecially Lars Pind and Dave Bauer, but I've passed my frustration threshold. I'll check back in after the release.

Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
Karl,

Remember that you're working with HEAD. At this point in time there is phenomenal activity due to the upcoming release of 5.0. I did see a problem with redirecting to to https on HEAD a few days ago that caused the same type of symptom you describe. As of yesterday that symptom disappeared for me. You could try to sync up with current HEAD CVS, but HEAD will be a moving target until the 5.0 branch occurs. You may be better served by the 4.x branch for your tests until HEAD settles down.

Randy

Collapse
Posted by Karl Thiessen on
Thanks, Randy.  I am bearing in mind that HEAD is busy and prone to breakage; as I said, I'll be revisiting it after the release, when things have settled down some.

This is a great bunch of developers, and I look forward to sinking my teeth into the code once the 5.0 release is out.

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Karl,
we fixed the HTTPS login issue that you experienced so that now it will only redirect to HTTPS if your AOLserver is configured for it.