Forum OpenACS Q&A: Ecommerce Credit Card Testing

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
I'm setting up an ecommerce site and the client is still in the process of picking and setting up a gateway and merchant account.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to set up ecommerce so that I can test having orders move all the way through fufillment and return without having any outside accounts?

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Caroline,

to test the ecommerce package but not the payment gateway, I recommend writing a simple implementation of the payment gateway service contract that validates all transactions.

You can then test the ecommerce package with successful orders. To test both the real payment gateway of your choice and orders whose transactions might not be approved I recommend waiting till the merchant account has been established.

/Bart

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Werner on
Most processors have a test server that will return pass/fail or random replies - that should allow you to test. Usually they don't want you to do that for a long period, just enough to test your code.
Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Alfred,

while that is true in most cases, Authorize.net (the gateway Caroline is using) has a pretty useless test mode.

It will validate all authorize requests and fail all other requests. And if I'm not mistaken you need to have an account with them before you can test your code.

All in all, not a viable option for Caroline's intent.

/Bart

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Thanks for the advice Bart. I'll probably end up doing that if they don't get accounts together soon.
Collapse
Posted by Tom Craftino on
Which credit cards do u use?

Collapse
Posted by Ciaran De Buitlear on
Just a small pointer. At one point we set things up to test with the actual live credit card sytsem. We just reversed the logic in one place so that we intentionally got a decline each time instead of a success.