Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #28: Approved by Dave Bauer

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
This is a good idea. As we already have ETP installed there, we can add a subtopic for each package so that permissions can be granted for each package seperately.

Anyone who is working on a package should be given access to edit the page.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I am not sure we really need TIPs for site content things like this since its mostly not a technical issue for OpenACS per se. I basically think that if someone want to take responsibility for implementing the functionality on openacs.org and it gets used then great.

We don't use openacs.org enough as a test bed for new functionality (I feel like the biggest improvements in forums, bug tracker, notifications, etc came as a consequence of all of us using the packages). If you want to implement something you think would be useful on openacs.org go ahead (the stuff Bart has done with irc logging and his new cvs frontend to cvsweb/viewcvs are good examples of this).

Its also why it's so important to get openacs.org back to the head. We are not really using the current head code here and I think the additional scrutiny and having to eat our own dogfood (frankly bad tasting in some cases) would translate to a much improved toolkit. Nothing else improves things faster than having us all using the code.

Things that might be great to have on openacs.org include wp, Jade's project manager, Dave's wiki stuff, project blogs, my cvs browser (integrated with bug tracker would be even better), photobook (once there is a postgres port), and many more that I can't think of off the top of my head. I would love to see an "Open Source Intranet" that helped bring together the things Dirk and Malte (and Joel) have mentioned in one place, consolidating blogs, bug tracker, forums, etc and making it all much more useful in keeping people informed, coordinating work, and ultimately making it a testimony to the power of the toolkit for building communities.

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Amen Jeff, amen.