Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #35: (Proposed) Relax Two Milestone Criteria for OpenACS 5.0.0 Release Candidate

I agree with Janine and I want to clarify the situation based on my converstations with Dave.

Dave had agreed to work on an automated upgrade system. Although Don has some ideas and will continue to work on it, we (OCT) have decided that will definitely *not* be part of 5.0 release criteria.

So now we are discussing whether we will have working, tested manual process avaiable as part of the release criteria.

Dave happens to also be working as a funded resource on file storage as part of his webdav work. There is concern that the 5.0 file storage may not be scalable at this point and he wants to look into that before release.

Thus we have Dave working on two release critical issues. File storage scalability and upgrade scripts.  For file storage he is a funded resource, for upgrade scripts he is a volunteer.

What I'm hoping is that Sloan or another organization can find a funded resource to take a leadership role in testing and *fixing* the upgrade scripts so that they run for a full database (eg SloanSpace).

Dave will certainly want to stay in the loop but I think he needs to put his funded work, which is also of critical importance, first.