Forum OpenACS Q&A: Off: biggest OpenACS websites

Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
Hi everybody,

It's not an important thing, but one client asked me and I couldn't answer easily: what is the biggest OpenACS Website in the world?

I would say AISEC, but it seems like they have a brand new website using another thing (Java or Rails, I guess), and I really don't know how big other people are.

We have here about 20000 users, but you guys must have some better examples.

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Eduardo,

UNED (Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia) in Spain has over 40,000 users: http://www.innova.uned.es

Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Hi Eduardo!

I guess it depends on how you measure. 😊 Do you count users, database size, number of acs_objects, number of hits? It really depends on how the system is being used. We've got sites running an OpenACS with over 150,000 users in the database but only 1 million acs_objects. Then we have other sites with only a few hundred users but with a few 100,000 new acs_objects being created daily. (I'd have to check exact numbers - these are only rough guesses). I have no idea on our numbers of hits.

hope this helps,
Brian

Collapse
Posted by Raúl Morales Hidalgo on
Hi all,

In fact we (innova-UNED) have grown quite a bit lately and now we have above 105000.

If you want further stats as Brian says, just ask.

Cheers,
Raúl

Collapse
Posted by Michael Cordova on
There is a project about redesigning the actual OpenACS sites into a more dynamic page where could be possible to update that kind of data automatically from OpenACS websites which wants to syndicate that information. More info on that post https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=605925

I think your question is very interesting to add to that project, in general, as a way to show rankings.

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
One client whose servers I host, runs a modified OpenACS that has well over 500K forum posts, which comprises a different measure of "size" I suppose.
Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
Hey guys. This is getting beter than I thought in the first place. As I got excited about it, I'm going to talk a little bit about myself.

We have a growing Portal at the address www.softwarepublico.gov.br, where we also host the Brazillian OpenACS community. By the way, it has now almost 700 members and in the first community meeting there were about 20 people.

I gues the website size is really relative, because you can say you have a lot of users, a lot of acs_objects, etc. As the first idea is to measure the users number, 100000 looks like a lot of people to me (as you guys at UNED have).

So, concerning the users number, UNED wins with 105000?

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
At galileo.edu this are our numbers:
# CR file system: 184G
# DB size: 47 GB
# objects: 25,157,019
# cr-items: 8,296,327
# cr-revisions: 9,984,693
# users: 123,126
Collapse
Posted by Jose Agustin Lopez Bueno on
At University of Valencia