Forum OpenACS Q&A: Could I have Xinha in a popup?

Collapse
Posted by Michael Cordova on
I don't really like popups, but it's a requirement from a vip user. The main problem is that I'd like to attach Xinha to a textarea selected by the user among lots of textareas.

Let me explain it a bit more... for instance, I'm gonna talk about /evaluation/admin/evaluations/student-list (for those who are not used to .LRN, is a list of evaluated and not evaluated students on a specific task, exam or such). That page uses multirow and a template::list. Every row of not evaluated (and NOT YET GRADED) students list has a little textarea to add a comment about the evaluation.

I think is not a good idea to attach one xinha per textarea on that page, so what I'm trying to do is... hiding the textarea and write a link "comment that evaluation" which would open a popup with xinha, somehow in relation with that textare. By popup, I mean either a new window, or a div (as fullscreen plugin does). I prefer the last one.

Is there any experience on doing something like that?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
It should be possible to add a xinha textarea in a hidden div, and then change the form element name via javascript, so that on submit it submits the corrent entry.

It might be a better experience in this case, to submit in the background then hide xinha again. Then the user could select another student and enter a comment for that one, etc.

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
What you are describing can be certainly done with some programming effort. The easiest approach is to add a link, popping up another editing frame for editing. This approach could be made independent of Xinha. However, be aware, that users might get confused, when loosing the context.

you might consider the Xinha HERE extension http://www.hypercubed.com/projects/firefox/.

Collapse
Posted by Michael Cordova on
The Xinah HERE plugin should be enough, at least, by the moment. Thanks!

I'm going to make a proposal on LRN forum about improving the evaluation page, to enable a "evaluation popup" where you can see the student work, his/her photo, his/her grade, and links to next and previous student... and publish the comment on background.

Thanks a lot.