Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #43 (Proposal) Adding object_name to acs_objects

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I vote yes (although I like calling it pretty_name
better and I don't like making it not null since I think
for some things there is just not a meaningful pretty_name).
Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
We have mapped out ways to support multilinguality. And do we really want to pull in non-localizable code after having i18nized the whole toolkit?

Where is package_id? Will that be a different TIP?

What about upgrade scripts or ways for a smooth migration? Do you have a tippable proposal for this?

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I side with Jeff and Dirk on this:

1. pretty_name is better. UPDATE: title may actually be better, for consistency with CR, which we want to move to for these kinds of objects, anyway.

2. we need to handle i18n.

/Lars

I'm in no way insisting on naming it object_name - pretty_name or title would be equally ok for me.

The thing with i18n is that nobody could come up with a reasonable solution to cope with objects in multiple languages (this shouldn't happen too often anyway). Since the feature of having a pretty_name or title of an object at a central place would help solve some immediate problems (i.e. search and categories) i would still want to see this being implemented. If a reasonable i18n solution comes up later we can still update then.