Forum OpenACS Development: Found bug in Forums. Let you post a message with closed policy.

Hi, first of all let me introduce myself. I'm Juan Ignacio Fernández a newbie developer in OpenACS (i've been working with it for about 2 months), so apologies if there is something wrong.

Well, I've found that, when you try something like posting a new message in a closed forum it lets you do it. In my humble opinion, I think that it is because it only looks at the permissions (inherited) and not at the posting policy of the forum at the time of posting a new message. I "solved" it by making this changes at these files:
-forums/tcl/forums-procs.tcl. I wrote a new function:
          ad_proc -public forum::posting_policy_get {
            {-forum_id 0}
            {-message_id 0}
          } {
            return [db_string posting_policy {} -default ""]
          }

-forums/tcl/forums-procs.xql. The name of the query: posting_policy
              select posting_policy
              from forums_forums
              where forum_id = :forum_id or forum_id in (
                select forum_id
                from forums_messages
                where message_id = :message_id
                  or parent_id = :forum_id
                  or parent_id = :message_id)

-forums/tcl/forums-security-procs.tcl. I modified two functions:
          ad_proc -public can_post_forum_p {
            {-user_id ""}
            {-forum_id:required}
          } {
              return [expr [permission::permission_p -party_id $user_id -object_id $forum_id -privilege create] \
                && [expr ![string equal closed [forum::posting_policy_get -forum_id $forum_id]] \
                    || [forum::security::can_admin_forum_p -user_id $user_id -forum_id $forum_id]]]
          }
          ad_proc -public can_post_message_p {
            {-user_id ""}
            {-message_id:required}
          } {
              return [expr [permission::permission_p -party_id $user_id -object_id $message_id -privilege write] \
                && [expr ![string equal closed [forum::posting_policy_get -message_id $message_id]] \
                    || [forum::security::can_admin_forum_p -user_id $user_id -forum_id $message_id]]]
          }

With this solution I solved the problem but I found another one, when you write in the URL bar directly the URL to post a new thread in a forum with posting policy open and you don't let the users to publish new threads, the system lets you to publish that thread.

Another question, Should I post it in the bugtracker?

Version openACS 5.4, dotLRN 2.4
Thank you very much.

Hi Juan Ignacio,

Welcome to OpenACS!

Apparently the "authorization" is implemented by hiding links... As for the fix, apart from checking the policy to show/hide actions, guards should be added to the Tcl scripts that add a new thread or a new message.

Could you post your patch at the bugtracker?

Thanks for catching that.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding of terminology?

See related, recent post: https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message%5fid=1866579

Well, I posted the patch at the bug tracker (bug #3153).

Thank you for every answers.