Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Res: Re: New Installation Question

Collapse
Posted by Héctor Romojaro on
Hi Raul,

First of all, thanks for testing the debian/ubuntu packages.

I've re-tested the install on a ubuntu hardy system, and I'm getting the same error than you:

-----------------
* Starting web server aolserver4 /usr/sbin/aolserver4-nsd: error while loading shared libraries: libnsd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
-----------------

...and then all the packages (aolserver4-*, openacs, ...) fail to install.

The problem is from the package aolserver4, which starts the daemon before doing the ldconfig, and gives the error of "cannot open shared ...".

-----------------
/usr/sbin/aolserver4-nsd: error while loading shared libraries: libnsd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[...]
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
-----------------

As you can see, the shared libraries are finded properly after that:

# ldd /usr/sbin/aolserver4-nsd
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xb7fab000)
libnsd.so => /usr/lib/aolserver4/lib/libnsd.so (0xb7f3a000)
libnsthread.so => /usr/lib/aolserver4/lib/libnsthread.so (0xb7f32000)
libtcl8.4.so.0 => /usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so.0 (0xb7e7d000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7e79000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7e61000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7e3c000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb7e31000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7ce2000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fac000)

So you can go ahead again with the install, doing apt-get install openacs (or dotlrn). From your post, I think aptitude is doing it automagically 😉

After that, you will find another error from the aolserver4 package:

-------------------
Fatal: log: failed to open server log '/var/log/aolserver4/aolserver4.log': 'Permission denied'
-------------------

aolserver4 package is not setting properly the permissions on their own log directory before launching the daemon (similar error than the first one), but the installing of the other packages finish properly.

After all, if you entered the correct values on the openacs|dotlrn install, you'll have a running instance on your server's http://localhost:8000 😊

If you're not getting any dialogue at the install, you didn't "purge" the packages before the install. I mean, you removed the packages (aolserver4, openacs...), but not the config files, including the data acquired from the previous configuration dialogs.

To fix it (and all your installation problems, i think), just do:

# dpkg --purge openacs
# apt-get install openacs --reinstall

After that, answer the questions of the installer (if you haven't changed your postgresql configuration, pressing enter on all the questions will work), and open a browser window on http://localhost:8000 to start the datamodel creation 😊

-- Héctor

Collapse
Posted by Stefan Sobernig on
Thanks Héctor for hunting this down!!!

Is the ldconfig issue something that needs to be reported to the Debian Tcl/Tk guys? If so, go ahead and file a bug ...

thx again
//stefan