Forum .LRN Q&A: New OpenCore release 1.0.2a

Collapse
Posted by Jack Ramsey on
1) New homepage design for students and managers
2) More informative student detail view
3) Usage of template system for form creation (ad_form)
4) New colors and icons (the important stuff)
4) Removal of course company directories, which caused error on company creation.
5) Documentation
6) Updates to AICC and SCORM import
7) Updates to AICC and SCORM launching and tracking
8) Many bug fixes

The new release is available from the IntellumORG downloads area. http://www.intellum.org
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Any reason why OpenCore isn't available under CVS or not part of .LRN?
This sounds very interesting.
Collapse
Posted by Jack Ramsey on
Nima,

This is only the second release.  I have spoken to some of the Sloan employees as well as Ernie, who has been doing some great work on specific aspects of SCORM functionality, but it remains unclear how we can integrate OpenCore functionality into .LRN.  I am sure that we will continue to speak about integrating portions of the functionality, but in my opinion, our project needs a little more time to mature before we will know how to combine the efforts effectively.

From my market experience, I see the need for OpenCore to remain a stand-alone module for some users; however, I hope that there is also a benefit to .LRN in conjunction with Ernie's work.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks,
Chip

Collapse
Hi Jack,

I installed the package and created a company and a super user.

But when press "Become user" I get
Couldn't find user 14263.

Pressing on "Generate Letter/Generate Report" I get
couldn't execute "htmldoc": no such file or directory
    while executing
"exec htmldoc --webpage -f $pdf_name $html_name"

Also I found no link to manage courses.

Can you kindly help?

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
Posted by Jack Ramsey on
Nima,

I will take the second error first, because it is easier.  All PDF generation requires that HTMLDoc http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/ is installed on your server.  Kind of a hassle, but we needed the flexibility of PDFs for printable documents.

The first error is a little more difficult.  My first guess is that the create user functionality did not work on the openacs side, perhaps due to a lack of permissions for the login you were using.  The admin for OpenCore module has only been tested using a sitewide openacs admin login.  If user creation permissions are not the issue, would you mind capturing a log entry for me when you create a user with the OpenCore admin?

Thanks for your interest.

Chip

Collapse
Hello Chip,

thank you very much for your quick response. Just one problem I had when creating a company:
mkdir: kann Verzeichnis »/var/lib/aolserver/unima1/packages/opencore/www/courses/1« nicht anlegen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

After creating the folder /var/lib/aolserver/unima1/packages/opencore/www/courses/ manually it worked.

I am logged in as OACS System Admin. I looked at the error.log but found no error during the user creation process.

I have to say that I mounted opencore to /opencore. Maybe that's why.

I will mount opencore under dotLRN and install htmldoc and get back to you again.

Thank you.

Collapse
Posted by Jack Ramsey on
The package manager omitted the courses directory when I created the apm file.  Very strange.  I will try to fix that.

I don't think that mounting the application to /opencore would be a problem.  Can you find the users in the openacs "user" table?

Collapse
Posted by Jack Ramsey on
I updated the package to contain the courses directory.  I had to but a file in the directory for the package manager to recognize it.
Collapse
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Hi Jack,

First of all thanks for your work implementing LMS features on openacs. It is great!

I'm trying opencore package release 1.0.3a running with oacs 5-1/postgresql7.4.2/aolserver4.

Opencore package installs good. The opencore/www/courses created OK. As openacs user I added a company and a directory "1" was created in opencore/www/courses/1 as the doc said would be. Good. Supermanager created with no errors and I could login with this user and reach a UI for courses manager.

I uploaded a SCORM course created with reload editor I used to testing importing for Ernie's Lors package (it worked ok on Lors!). After uploaded zip file and unpacked it I had after clicking "Add new course"

Type: SCORM
Path: curso1/imsmanifest.xml

where curso1 is my uploaded course directory.

When I submit Import Course I had this error on background (log/error.log)
------

Error: GET http://localhost:8037/
referred by "http://localhost:8037/lms/manager/courses/course-uninstalled?cat_id=NULL"
    can't read "node_id_name": no such variable
        while executing
    "return $node_id_name"
        (procedure "cs_list_children" line 18)
      invoked from within
    "cs_list_children [ lindex [split [lindex $list_of_childs 0]] 0] "
        invoked from within
  "set list_of_manifest_childs [ cs_list_children [ lindex [split [lindex $list_of_childs 0]]  ("uplevel" body line 53)
      invoked from within
    "uplevel 1 $transaction_code "
      (procedure "db_transaction" line 1)
      invoked from within
  "db_transaction {
          ### Create the nextval in cs_courses
          set course_id [db_nextval "cs_courses_id_sequence"]
          ### Set filename to the manifest.xml

-----

Bug-tracker at intellum.org is going to be used reporting bugs and patches?

I read this post https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=168874 from Ernie Ghiglione about Opencore and I agree when he said there is "a lot of opportunities to work with Jack on a robust SCORM/LMS implementation that not only fulfils the needs of corporations, but also the academic world".

I have some available time now and some basic skills on openacs programming and could be good colaborate on efforts building courseware features like you and Ernie are planning.

Collapse
Posted by Jack Ramsey on
Orzenil,

Thank you very much for providing the information about the SCORM import problem.  Two of our main focuses for the next release will be course import and implementation of cmi.objectives.

Ernie has been finishing up his thesis over the last month.  Afterwards, he had mentioned that we could look into ways to leverage some of his work to make our system better.  I look forward to that calibration and welcome any assistance that you could provide.

As for the error, would you mind emailing me the imsmanifest.xml file?

Thanks again for your assistance,
Chip

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Is OpenCore a fork of .LRN?
Collapse
Posted by Jack Ramsey on
No, OpenCore is not a fork of .LRN.  Actually, we built the early versions of our LMS on ACS in 2000.  We have since migrated to a system that can be operated outside of ACS; however, OpenCore is our attempt to port a version over to OpenACS.  Obviously, all of our time is not going into OpenCore development, but my hope is that, in conjunction with Ernie, we can provide the OpenACS community with some valuable tools.
Collapse
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Hi Chip,

sorry for late response.

i think scorm import problem i reported before was a mistake of mine. i tried again and opencore recognized imsmanifest.xml and could import it. any way i just emailed this file for you as you asked for.

now i have:

* supermanager view:

Course Details
webcam

Type:     SCORM
Suggested Length:
Authorization:     Required
Notification:
Command Line:     webcam
File Name:     imsmanifest.xml

* student view (after enrollment/catalog view):

Course Detail
Course Name:     webcam
Course Category:     Undefined
Description:
Enroll Action:     Currently Enrolled

i hope you and Ernie could work together on developing the best solution for course import. LORS is going to be great as importing and deliver tool for scorm and i think opencore UI and navigational features provided by this package could enhance courseware features in dotlrn. anything i could help be free to contact me.