Forum OpenACS Development: CRM-like package and project-manager

Currently project-manager has a nice 'to be done' selection box where you should be able to select a customer and relate a project with a customer.

I'm in need for such functionality and starting end of next week I've coding-time to throw at it as well. Hence, I'd like to discuss what other ideas there are regarding this.

What I'm looking for is an application package where one can maintain a list of contacts and organisations (where contacts can be members of organisations), opportunities, sales pipeline etc. Basically a crm-like package to complement the project-manager package.

Perhaps a nice intro is ACT!'s feature-tour.
Another big one in this arena, Goldmine, also has a webaccessible demo, but that one is Citrix based giving you access to the Real Thing which means you need to be familiar with this type of software to 'get it'.
The tour however is a lot more accessible:
http://www.act.com/common/display/FeaturesTour/DisplayFeaturesTour.cfm?TourID=26,217

At first I, for myself at least, want to keep things simple - e.g. just a contactmanager with some extras, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on a possible future.

For now there is the 'organisations' package, someone was working on a 'contacts-heavy', what else is going on that goes in the right direction? What other package I could have a look at? And what is the status of these things?

And also important - Jade, what're your plans on this one?

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Just to clarify: project-manager does link in customers to projects.

However, the organizations package does not link in things like phone numbers, addresses, etc... It wasn't even designed to have a UI, and I probably should have put the UI in a separate package. It was designed to provide a standards-compliant (I forget what the actual standard was) data model for organizations.

So what I would do, is break out the organizations UI into a package called organizations-ui.

Then link in organizations-ui with telecom-number (for phone numbers), and itu-codes (I think it is), which is for addresses. Then you'll have a very simple contact manager.

I don't really have any plans in this area, so you want to take this on, that's great!

The only thing I want to insist on is not creating something completely outside of the organizations package. Ignoring that would make my life more difficult.

Collapse
Posted by Jeroen van Dongen on
<blockquote>> Just to clarify: project-manager does link in customers to >> projects.
</blockquote>

Ah - now I see. Sorry, it was some err on my side that it did not work as expected. Perhaps I shouldn't try things out at 3 in the morning (either that, or restart my caffeine habbit again :)

Anyway - sounds ok. WRT to the organisations package I've one 'problem' with it - and that is the organisation type stuff.

I don't see this as a feature of the organisations package - imo an organisation-object should just represent the basic demographics about that organisation and nothing else.

All that context-related stuff like in what category an organisation falls should be dealt with outside the org package. The type stuff for instance could also (and perhaps better) be implemented by integrating with 'categories'. May be it can be arranged that on package install time a special categorie tree gets created, pre-populated and mapped?

BTW - how much fait should I have in acs-persons? Looks like a usefull package as well in this regard, but the current version does seem to have some issues?

However, I'll work on a decent design proposal and post it here for comments.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
As long as there is an upgrade script, I think the idea of changing organizations to use categories is a good one.

Good idea to pre-populate the package.

I don't know anything about acs-persons.

I'm looking forward to the design proposal!

Collapse
5: ACT! Import Interface (response to 1)
Posted by Frank Bergmann on
Hi,

Jeroen writes:
<blockquote> Perhaps a nice intro is ACT!'s feature-tour.
</blockquote>

Did anybody think about an import interface to ACT!? I've seen the zillion of features of ACT! and I (personally) don't think that we should try to copy them, but try to incorporate by providing an import (and export?) interface.

Bests,
Frank

mailto:frank_dot_bergmann_at_project_open_dot_com
http://www.project-open.com/