Forum OpenACS Q&A: install problems on RH7.0

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
I am not sure if the problem is due to RH. It is like I have missed a whole page of documentation:
1. Installed aolserver3.3.1
2. Postgres with: postgresql-base-7.1.tar.gz
3. openacs-3.2.4 (I downloaded it 2 days ago, I will download de new one today)
I loaded de data model... no errors. when I register no errors. when I try to assign a site-wide admin, I get "Attribute 'group_name' not found". So I decided to go back and remembered about the acceptance test. I didn't find in your documentation how to change the date problem and other things like the
nls_date_format = "YYYY-MM-DD"
Does openACS have its own acceptance test, or everything is like in ACS? I have tried the first 2 from Oracle's acceptance tests and failed both.
What did I miss? thanks
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
<ul><li>PG 7.0 and newer set the date to the right format by default, you don't need to worry about this.
<li>The problem you've run into is due to a bug fixes in PG 7.1 that requires us to rewrite some queries that PG 7.0 accepted (but didn't always execute correctly).  You'll find that this error has been fixed  in 3.2.5.  Version 3.2.4 and PG 7.1 have several little version incompatibilities of this sort so anyone running PG 7.1 should skip 3.2.4 and jump directly to 3.2.5.
<li>We didn't rewrite the acceptance tests due to time constraints among what at the time was a very small volunteer base.  We will do so  for OpenACS 4.x.
</ul>
<p>Hope this helps!
Collapse
Thanks Don,

I did as you said and installed 3.2.5. dbdrop'ed the DB, created it again, loaded the data-models...
I start aolserver with no error messages, but...
when I try to register it doesn't work. In the aolserver log I have the bunch of notices as bellow and go to the same page. Is this a bug in 3.2.5 or my installation?

[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: Querying '
        select user_id, token, secure_token,
              last_ip, last_hit from sec_sessions
        where session_id = 1;'

[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: dbinit: sql(localhost::ebt): '
        select user_id, token, secure_token,
              last_ip, last_hit from sec_sessions
        where session_id = 1
    '

[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: bad token - VMdCo8oIcB8kbdkCpysxVTn/y/LdbMPI - jeMmSI/51ZQ1QwoMZGMdbE6yfqKHuHuD

[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: Querying 'select * from referer_log_glob_patterns;'

[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: dbinit: sql(localhost::ebt): 'select * from referer_log_glob_patterns'

[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: Querying 'update referer_log set click_count = click_count + 1
where local_url = '/pvt/home.tcl'
and foreign_url = 'http://mt:9000/register/index.tcl?return_url=%2fpvt%2fhome%2etcl';
and trunc(entry_date) = trunc(sysdate());'
[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: dbinit: sql(localhost::ebt): 'update referer_log set click_count = click_count + 1
where local_url = '/pvt/home.tcl'
and foreign_url = 'http://mt:9000/register/index.tcl?return_url=%2fpvt%2fhome%2etcl';
and trunc(entry_date) = trunc(sysdate())'

[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: Querying 'select * from referer_log_glob_patterns;'

[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: dbinit: sql(localhost::ebt): 'select * from referer_log_glob_patterns'

[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: Querying 'update referer_log set click_count = click_count + 1
where local_url = '/register/index.tcl'
and trunc(entry_date) = trunc(sysdate());'

[02/May/2001:08:36:06][7261.10246][-conn5-] Notice: dbinit: sql(localhost::ebt): 'update referer_log set click_count = click_count + 1
where local_url = '/register/index.tcl'
and trunc(entry_date) = trunc(sysdate())'

Collapse
I just noticed that minutes after asking for the page I get:

Error: nscp: could not listen on 127.0.0.1:9999

(this was loaded fine when I started nsd)

Any ideas?

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Ok, calm down. We'll help you :)
The NSCP problem is most likely something missing in your AOLserver config file. Did you use our sample config file as described in the documentation?

We tested the installation of 3.2.5 and it works. I just did a fresh install on PG 7.1 and it works just fine. No errors whatsoever after loading the datamodel (except for two errors where a function is DROPed before being created, but that's not an error). Logins work perfectly.

Did you load the geo-tables before loading your datamodel? Go back and walk through the installation guide. There's got to be something you missed.

Collapse
thanks Roberto, and I am sorry if I sounded "anscious".

I re-did everything a couple of hours ago and got the same mesaagges. I will go back to my office in 30 min and might try something else (your suggestions would be appreciated). What I did is:

dropdb mydb

createdb mydb

load-geo-tables (no errors in the log)

loadded data-model (no errors in the log)

changed nscp passwd as described in the nsd.tcl (I used the one of 3.2.3, maybe I should update but I didn't find anything important with a diff.

killed all nsd processes

removed log/server.log

restarted nsd and no errors in the nsd log file. It even loaded the nscp module fine.

when I try to register the new user is added to the DB (I see it by doing a select). But the system kicks me back to the register page (as if I had the cookies off, which I don't).

Are you using RH7.0 ? could this be the problem? Last night I downloaded the iso images for 7.1 but couldn't find a CD burner... hopefully tomorrow, so I can update RH.

thanks again

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Hello Rafael,

I didn't install openacs 3.2.5 on pg 7.1 yet, but if you want to switch to RH 7.1 you might want to read the following thread. Especially what Jon Griffin wrote on 2.4.x Kernels.
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Marsden on
Yes, possibly RH 7.0 might be related to the current problem you are
seeing.  Using RH 6.2 (which is what most Red Hat based OpenACSers
currently use) or RH 7.1 (which I am testing my OpenACS RPMs with at
the moment) might make more sense if you have the option.

Right now RH 7.1 is probably not the right choice for a big production
OpenACS installation, just because there's so little experience with
it in the OpenACS community... but that will change, and so if you
are just getting started with OpenACS on Red Hat, doing small scale
internal things, RH 7.1 might make good sense.  So might using
my RPMs, once the minor issues with them under RH 7.1 are removed 😊

Collapse
Why would RH affect the results in such a way?.

when I start nsd, nscp is loaded fine. Later on (another instance of nsd) it is not loaded, getting:

Error: nscp: could not listen on 127.0.0.1:9999

this seems more like a configuration problem.
I tried logging to port 9999 from the shell and logging/passwd is OK.

I noticed I had a warning for not installing nsssl, so I comented those lines in nsd, as it seems from the documentation that it is not required, and I am not palning to use ssl yet 😟.

Collapse
I think I found the problem. The owner for /home/aolserver was nsadmin.web, but the group apparently has to be nsadmin as well (even if user nsadmin is member of web)

I will do the acceptance test for the modules tomorrow

thanks all