Forum OpenACS Development: Content Repository Keywords - interface

Where should an interface to add or remove content repository
keywords live?

Right now it looks like the only package that uses these keywords is
the CMS and I think sitewide-search. I am adding this feature to Edit
This Page which is an alternative content management application.

Is it safe to figure that an OpenACS installation will use one of
those two packages or another content management pacakge and add the
keyword administation into the content management application?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Hmmm...good question.  This seems like a useful general facility.  Is there any reason why the CR itself shouldn't provide this functionality?

Some central facility should provide this.

It's one of those many content hooks that are needed for the oft-mumbled
"knowledge management" stuff, and when we've talked about KM we've talked about providing central facilities that operate on the CR.

BTW SWS is going away, to be replaced by the new Search package, so this might be a good time to change the way keywords are managed.

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Yes keyword management should be part of the content management systems.  It's not difficult to implement, and I don't think you want to make CMS a dependency for Edit This Page.  Especially since CMS is so difficult to use in its current form.
Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
Is there reason to think that keywords and the General
Categories module that we've talked about several times would
overlap in a significant way?
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I am planning on using the keyword facilities to categorize content in OpenACS 4. The system allows for a hierarchy of categories with unlimited levels. This is much more flexible than the category/subcategory/subsubcategory system used for example in OpenACS 3.2.5 ecommerce.

I wasn't aware of any discussion to build a system other than the one already in the content repository. It seems that the goal of centralizing content storage in the CR means that the best place to assign keywords or categories is in the CR.

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Creating and assigning keywords is a content management function.  Currently the CR doesn't have a user interface, so now if we start migrating CMS functionality to the CR, we'll end up with a half-baked CMS interface on top of the CR.  I could see the CR providing api's for CMS type functions, but the UI for managing keywords and other CMS type functions should remain within the CMS packages.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Right, I agree. I did not think the CR should be providing any sort of UI. I was just thinking about the other packages that could take advantage of the keywords. I will be adding pages to manage keywords to ETP.
Collapse
Discussion about adding both general categories and general ratings functionality to the CR appears here:

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=22850

Collapse
By the way, as you'll see in the thread I note above, categorization
is much more general than content management. As Don points
out, it's really knowledge management, and it belongs in every
module that allows the input of significant amount of
data--bboard, file storage, FAQ, etc.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Michael,

The categorization of the CR should be sufficient for any application.  What needs to be done is make sure all packages use the CR categories instead of their own system. This way categories will be consistent across the system and it will be easy to query for everything in one category no matter what package it belongs to.

I am specifcally talking about an interface to manage the addition of keywords to the master list of available keywords.

A rating system would be a great add-on package. It could probably be implemented similarly to general-comments.

You are correct that these features need to be site-wide and not specific to whatever content management package is installed.